Add/Edit Citation button doesn't work

This discussion was created from comments split from: Help: Adding citation.
  • I also have a similar problem to eopage. The button 'add/edit citation' doesn't work whenever I click on it. Kindly advise on the way forward.
  • @rmsiriba Please start a new thread and provide more details. What version of Zotero and Word (specific numeric version, such as 15.41) are you running? What operating system? When you click the Add/Edit Citation button, what exactly happens?
  • I am running Zotero 5.0 for windows 7. When I click Add/Edit Citation button, nothing happens
  • Could you produce a Debug ID from Zotero?

1. In the Help menu, go to Debug Output Logging and select Enable.
    2. Press the Add/Edit button in Word.
    3. Before doing anything else, return to Help → Debug Output Logging and click Submit Output, which will disable logging and submit the output to zotero.org. A window should pop up containing a Debug ID. Click “Copy to Clipboard” and paste the Debug ID into this forum thread.
  • Thanks adomasven. I have done as you have advised and the debug ID is D1917808557
  • The Debug ID contains Zotero loading from startup, not the pressing of the Word button. Please follow the procedure above.
  • I have followed your step 3 above but the the 'Submit Output' button is inactive hence unable to proceed further
  • You should ensure that Macros are not disabled for Add-ins in Word. In Word Options go to the Trust Centre and check the macro options under Add-ins.
  • Thanks. I have done so and the debug ID now is D1905919156.
  • In the Trust Centre for Word, under "Macro Settings" check "Disable all macros with a notification" and under "Add-ins" ensure all checkboxes are unchecked. Then restart Word and see whether you get a notification to enable macros and whether once enabled the Zotero buttons in Word work.
  • I have done so but no notification received
  • Do the buttons work if you select "Enable all macros" and restart?
  • Still the button doesn't work even after selecting 'enable all macros'.
  • If you go into Options -> Customize Ribbon, enable Developer tab, then in the Developer tab click "Macros", do you see Zotero related Macros? What happens if you run them?
  • Which options? I am not able to see 'Customize Ribbon' after clicking word option.
  • I am using word 2007 and still not able to see 'Customize Ribbon'
  • Oh sorry, didn't realize you were on Word 2007. See here on how to show the developer tab on Word 2007: http://www.addintools.com/documents/word/where-develop-tab.html
  • I have managed to run the Zotero related 'Macros' but still not able to Add/edit citation
  • Meaning that when you run the add/edit citation macro nothing happens? No error message either?
  • Yes nothing happens when I run add/edit citation macro . No error message either
  • I have this same problem (since the new Zotero version was installed). I've followed all the steps above (enabling macros etc) and the advice on the help pages but still Zotero will not work...
  • Here is the report id Report ID: 1164986424
  • I've fixed the problem I was having.

This is probably simple but I didn't realize it before. You need to open the Zotero version on your desktop. Then go to Tools-AddOns. Then go to the Sync tab-and sync your online zotero acct. Then ho to Cite-click the Word Processors tab. Here, you can reinstall Zotero in Word.

This worked for me, hopefully it will help someone else.
  • @rmsiriba if you try to run the Zotero macros when Zotero is closed do you get a prompt saying that Zotero is not available?
  • I have the same problem. I have tried uninstalling/reinstalling... refreshing. etc. the add/edit never works.
This discussion has been closed.