Word could not communicate with Zotero. Please ensure that Zotero is open and try again.

I am using Office 365 and Zotero 5 standalone. This error message appeared and I've gone through the troubleshooting steps on other threads(reinstalling Word plugin, making sure its enabled), but nothing works so far. Any help would be appreciated.
  • Can you provide a Report ID from Zotero?
  • And just to be sure -- I understood correctly that it shows as enabled under tools --> addons, yes?
  • Report ID: 908372719
  • When I go to tools, there -->addons, there is an option to disable. I assume this means it is enabled.
  • I installed Office again and added a Safari connector as well, but the same 2 problems happen.

1. In Word, when I click to add a citation, I get the error message which is the subject of this thread.

2. When I try to add an item from Safari or Firefox into the standalone Zotero, nothing happens when I click to capture it.

• This strongly suggests some sort of security (likely Firewall, maybe wrongly configured proxy) impeding communication between Zotero and other applications.
  • edited December 15, 2017
    Can you submit:

1. A startup Debug ID from Zotero?
    2. A report ID from Safari?
  • I restarted my computer and it works now!
  • [JavaScript Error: "Component returned failure code: 0x804b0036 (NS_ERROR_SOCKET_ADDRESS_IN_USE) [nsIServerSocket.init]" {file: "chrome://zotero/content/xpcom/server.js" line: 60}]
    Yeah, it's likely that another copy of Zotero was running but hidden, either an earlier instance that hadn't closed properly or in another user account (if more than one is in use on your computer).