Zotero not syncing

This discussion was created from comments split from: Files Not Syncing.
  • I am having problems with files not syncing in my online Zotero library. I am running version 5.0.30 (the latest, I believe). The online space is unlimited, and all the local settings seem to be correct (based on my understanding of the manuals). However, the last Sync occurred 24 days ago and since them, despite the multiple attempts, sync does not occur. When I force a Sync clicking the round arrow on the upper-right corner of the window, it starts and then ends immediately with no message.

Can anyone help?
  • Can you provide a Debug ID for a sync?

Is "My Library" enabled in the "Choose Libraries…" window in the Sync preferences?
  • The "My Library and Feeds" is enabled.

I will check on how to provide a Debug ID.

• Here is Debug ID: D45254791
  • I have restarted Zotero with Debug on, and here is the new Debug ID: D737291023
  • If you open the Config Editor from the Advanced pane of the Zotero preferences, click through the warning, and filter for 'librariesToSkip' in the list of settings, does anything come up? If so, right-click on it, choose Copy Value, and paste the value here.
  • Here is what I have found.
    One entry:

extensions.zotero.sync.librariesToSkip;["L1"]
  • edited December 15, 2017
    Hmm, well that's definitely the problem, but you're saying "My Library & Feeds" has a checkmark to the left of it in "Choose Libraries…"?
  • If you leave the config editor open, you should be able to see that setting respond to changes you make in the "Choose Libraries…" window. When "My Library & Feeds" is checked, you should see "L1". When it's unchecked, the "L1" should go away.
  • Chechmark? I have selected it, but I do not remember a "checkmark" sign. I'll check and let you know ... I am not on the same computer.

You have to either double-click on a row or click in the Sync column to enable/disable it, which will toggle a checkmark in the Sync column. Clicking once on the name simply highlights the row without changing anything.

(It defaults to syncing all libraries, so unless there was some bug you would've had to have disabled this yourself at some point. Zotero should probably show a warning on sync when no libraries are enabled, though.)
  • Mmh, the "My Library & Feeds" library had NOT a checkmark sign to the its left. I did select the library, but I did not click to its left to have the checkmark sign to appear. This was not clear or evident to me. When clicking on the library, it turned blue, and I thought that was enough. The library is now syncing and in the process it found 5 conflicts (which are indeed possible). It will need time to complete the syncing (5200 items to go ...).
  • Do you recall disabling this at some point in the past, though?
  • I do not remember disabling the "My Library & Feeds" library intentionally, but it is entirely possible that I did it unintentionally. I went to this panel multiple times to try to solve the non-Sync issue.

I do not remember seeing any warning message concerning the lack of a (or at least one) library to sync.

The syncing is down to 3600 to go, and its says that the "last syncing was 14 minutes ago, when it about started. I presume this is correct.

Thanks for the help, and for finding the problem, and the solution.
    I do not remember seeing any warning message concerning the lack of a (or at least one) library to sync.
    Right, that doesn't happen now. I'm saying that it should probably be made to show a warning if no libraries are selected.
  • Indeed, this would be helpful. Or it should be more difficult (i.e., needing an explicit set of actions) to unselect / select a Library to be Synced. Just double clicking on it, or to the left of it to toggle the state selected/unselected ... is too simple, and may result is naive / wrong actions ... like the one I made.