Citations become empty boxes - using Dragon voice recognition

I am using Dragon, a voice recognition app in Word and quite often my citations (created by Zotero) become empty boxes when using this app. Has someone else encountered the same issue? All versions Word, Zotero, Dragon are up to date. Many thanks for your help.
  • If possible, can you take a screenshot that shows this and email it to support@zotero.org?
  • Weird. Does this only happen if you use Dragon? What citation style is this? Does it happen if you use a different style?
  • Yes, happens with Dragon i think. Tried Apple’s dictation feature and there doesn’t seem to be a problem with the citations. Its Chicago style i am using. Checked with different citation styles and the problem is still there. When not using Zotero there doesnt seem a problem with the citations. They are not affected.
  • What exact steps are you taking to reproduce this? How exactly is Dragon involved?
  • Not sure i understand the first question. So basically whenever I am using Dragon and dictate several of the citations (done with Zotero) throughout the text become empty boxes.
  • Whenever i try and dictate using Dragon, the citations I have previously created using Zotero become empty boxes. I have provided screenshot of the problem via e-mail on support@zotero.org. The moment i start dictating the cursor in the document often changes location and the citations would transform into boxes. If however i put the cursor down lets say several paragraphs in an empty part of the document and start dictating that does not seem to affect the citations above.

I am using Word for Mac, version 15,40. Zotero 5.0.30 and Dragon 6.0.8.
  • edited December 13, 2017
    Sorry, but we really need the kind of numbered, step-by-step instructions from the page I link to, with everything you're doing, everything you see on screen at each point, what you expect to happen, and what actually happens. It's not yet clear to me how using dictation even relates to the Zotero Word plugin.

If you're able to take a screen recording of this happening, upload it somewhere, and provide a link here (or email it to support@zotero.org if you prefer), that could also work.
  • Without Zotero installed and using the usual Word citation features, Dragon does not have any interference affecting the citations. I am not able to provide more information than this at this stage unfortunately.

Have a good day.