Editing a paper help

Help please ASAP: I am editing a chapter from a book which has a reference list created with Zotero 4.0. I have added new references with 5.0 to the old list. Does this make any difference? I am having difficulties creating a Reference list/bibliography. Does any one have a step by step procedure that might simplify how to get this done. If possible, could you respond to my email address? eopage44@gmail.com. Thanks.
  • I need some more details to give you steps to walk through.

Was the reference list made with the Word/LibreOffice plugin or just be copying a reference list from Zotero to Word (for example, if you place the cursor in the reference list, is it highlighted in gray? if you click the Zotero Add/Edit Bibliography button, what happens?)?

If you made the reference list by adding citations to the Word document, then just adding another citation to the document should update the reference list to include the new reference (Zotero 4.0 vs 5.0 doesn't matter here).

What exactly are you trying to do to add the new reference and what is happening?
  • I developed a list of references separate from the document utilizing pub med. (this is how I learned to use Zotero). My next step was to back into the doc with the ref list visible; then utilizing the little icon at the top (add ref/ edit ref and two others. I can’t seem to pull it up at the moment). I don’t use this program often but even with all the issues it still is easier than typing each ref individually. I appreciate your answer but not sure what to do now thx
  • Which Word version and operating system exactly?
  • Good morning, Word version 2010; Mac OS Sierra 10.12.6.
    What I don’t understand is that sometimes it is easy to insert the reference. I just place the cursor where it needs to go, look up my resource, click on it and it is entered. Sometimes it doesn’t. Not sure why. Is there something I need to do to the reference list after adding a new ref.? Just to give you more information. I only do this process (editing a professional journal, paper or book chapter) occasionally. I am 73 and was introduced to editing about 10 years ago and Zotero maybe 5. Sometimes it seems to work just fine and others I cannot add the ref for the life of me.
  • I sure could use some help.. Thanks