Files Not Syncing

This discussion was created from comments split from: The attached file could not be found..
  • This is a really frustrating and exceptionally disruptive bug. I was planning to work away from the office, and I can't do that now, because I can't access my files. So I either lose a day of work, or travel out of my way to get back to the office.

The 'Files Not Syncing' steps are all well and good if you're using computer A, but my files are not accessible from computer B.... so the steps are absolutely no help to me at all. The only way to resolve this is to go to computer A (at another location), which defeats the purpose of having the system sync across two computers in the first place.
  • edited December 12, 2017
    I'm not sure what bug you're referring to — the issue in the other thread was a specific problem with files synced exactly in a daylight savings time window. I assume that's not what you're experiencing.

We're not aware of any other general problems with files not syncing in Zotero 5.0. If you think there's a bug, we'd need more info. The Files Not Syncing steps are just a debugging step to try to identify problems, not something you're expected to do regularly to fix problems.
  • edited December 12, 2017
    My read of that thread was that despite the daylight savings error being fixed, the user could still not access the files. They ended up manually deleting and re-uploading the files:

jbwilson6: Thank you. The daylight savings error is resolved but I still cannot access the documents I was having trouble with earlier (quoted error)

dstillman: Then you'll need to go back to the steps in Files Not Syncing.

jbwilson6: I went through the steps again and did the "Reset File Sync History" and I am still receiving the error. I can access the files on another computer of mine and on the zotero.org. Just not through the Zotero application on this computer. It is only impacting four articles.

(dstillman requests bug ID)

jbwilson6: I went ahead and added uploaded to pdfs to the computer that was not syncing and the deleted the old pdfs from the server.

----

This has been an issue I've been dealing with for months, and I've just been forcing myself not to work remotely. Any new files I upload to Zotero are no longer accessible from computer B.
  • Files sync automatically under normal conditions. If that's not happening for you, we just need a Debug ID for the first sync after adding a file on that computer. There's no other way for us to debug it.

There's no reason to think this is related to the issue in the other thread, which, again, was limited to files uploaded during a specific one-hour window.
  • Well, there’s really no mystery here. You’re just at your free file sync quota, and you should see a sync error icon on the uploading computer that displays an error saying so. So you just need to delete some files or add a storage subscription to your account.
  • You can view your storage usage here (also linked from that error message):

https://www.zotero.org/settings/storage
  • edited December 14, 2017
    There is a mystery, as I have webDAV set up. I've verified the server on both computers and the message I receive is that "File sync is successfully set up".

This was working quite successfully for some time, and then abruptly stopped.
  • OK, then see what I say above for what we need.
  • I should also note that I could access the file via box.com (which was a painful process, as there's no way of knowing which file is which, so you need to download each and open it). The problem is that I can't access the file via Zotero on computer B.
    Thanks... I'll need to go back to computer B, get the bug ID and get it back to you.
  • I have a report ID from Computer A, it would seem that whilst I can access the files on computer A, and the sync has verified in preferences, there's an error: 1041430262.

Not sure if this helps, as I can access files, but here's a Debug ID from computer A, also: D1117223632.
  • That error is fixed in 5.0.30 — you're running an earlier beta version. Prior to 5.0.30, file syncing could fail (with the error icon) if you had attachment files that somehow ended up with the Windows read-only attribute. So start by making sure you're running 5.0.30 or a current beta on both computers.
    I'll keep trying, but I haven't been able to update for some time (it just sits there with the bar completely green and no progress).

Does 5.0.30 work with Zotfile?
  • 5.0.30 is just the latest point release — there's no compatibility difference.

If updating isn't working, restart Zotero and try again, and if that doesn't work, just reinstall it from the download page.
  • Thanks, one final question. If I reinstall it, will I lose all my files?
  • Thank you for your help.