Word can't communicate with Zotero

This discussion was created from comments split from: Unable to install Zotero plugin in Word (Office 365 Mac).
  • I am having a similar problem. I can not get word to communicate with Zotero, its says I should open firefox or zotero, so I logged into zoter0 through firefox and still wouldn't work. I can't get the small box zotero to open up either, I have to log into the website. My Zotero is completely screwed up after the last updates. I downloaded the stand alone several times and can not get it to work! Please let me know how to get zotero to start running properly again. Thank you
  • Also, when I go to the Zotero add on in Firefox it says under the general status that Zotero is currently unavailable, I seemingly have no way to change that.
  • That message is outdated — you just need to be running Zotero 5.0 and have it open.
  • Thanks dstillman. But how do I get Zotero to open? When I go to add-ons and preferences for Zotero is says it is unavailable.
  • I'm really not tech savy, can you explain it to me step by step? Thanks
  • Zotero 5.0 is now a separate program that you install and run on your computer.

https://www.zotero.org/blog/zotero-5-and-firefox-faq/