Save a search: no date

Hello,

How might one create and save a search for all entries for which the date field is blank?

Many thanks in advance.
  • ‘Date’ ‘does not contain’ ‘%’
  • "Date" does not support the "does not contain" parameter, and try "Date" "is not" "%" doesn't work.
  • I'd also like to know if anyone has found a solution
  • This kind of search is also important for other aspects of cleaning your library, like searching for items without attachments, looking for items missing titles, authors, journals, etc.

I did try "Title" "Does not contain" "%" (and a version with percentage in quotes in the query box ""%""), but this did not appear to do any kind of matching against empty titles.
  • For the general question, the % is no longer necessary:

Title -- does not contain -- [just leave the field empty]

will find empty titles. Similarly for attachment content, publication, creators etc. Note that for titles this will also find standalone notes. If you don't want them you'll need to specifically exclude them.

For date it's a bit more complicated. I think the way to go is:

date -- is in the last -- 1000 years

--> Create a saved search "1000 years"

new advanced search

Collection -- is not -- 1000 years

You may need to restrict to top-level items. If you have items before 1019 in your collection, make it 2000 years. Not sure if Zotero can handle BC(E) dates in this fashion, though, so if you're a classicist, this may not work.