RSS item not saving in My Library

edited November 28, 2017
Hello,

I created a test RSS feed in Zotero from a Scopus request:
https://syndic8.scopus.com/getMessage?registrationId=IAEHJCLHIAEHIAEIKAFOJBGPKBJQLEEQQGNQLIELPT

The last 20 items are imported instantly. Then when I select an item and click on "Add to My Library" in the top right, a little window "Save to My Library..." opens in the bottom right for few seconds before closing and nothing happens. The item is not saved in My Library (or in any folder).

I have the same failure with a drag and drop.

What should I do, or what should I look for?

Thanks for your help :-)
  • What version of Zotero? And can you submit a Debug ID (in the Help menu) of a save attempt that fails?
  • (works for me though it takes some time)
    You have access to Scopus on the network you're trying this, right?
  • Version 5.0.28
    Debug ID D1752682363 (let me know if it's the right ID)

I do have access to Scopus because I'm logged, but I'm remote from my university network. The same RSS feed from my university proxy connexion can't be read by Zotero because it would need to login.
    However I think you should be able to open just like me the RSS feed I posted just above.

I'll try with with another RSS feed.

Thanks!
  • Everything works fine with a standard WordPress RSS feed:
    http://carnetist.hypotheses.org/feed

The Scopus RSS items in Zotero look like perfect bibliographic records, so I wouldn't have thought there would be any difficulty moving them or copying in My Library. Is it only possible to move Scopus RSS item in folders when connected on a university network?
  • yeah, this only works on campus for me, too. Zotero doesn't import the item from the feed, but follows the link and imports there the same way you would when browsing to the site. If you're not authenticated to Scopus, that doesn't work (since it uses the "Export" function). I'm afraid there's no good solution to this. Scopus is somewhat unusual in that it allows access to item pages but no ability to Export from them. Most other providers either don't let you get to the item at all (e.g. ProQuest, Ebsco) or let you export metadata (e.g. Sciencedirect, JSTOR, Springer, Wiley)
  • Thanks for your quick answers :-)

So I tried again directly from my university network + authenticated to Scopus with my personnal account. Saving the items doesn't work either, same problem.

I wanted to reset the RSS feed from Scopus just to make sure. The Title field remains greyed out and I can't save it, so it may indicate that Zotero can't read the Scopus feed (which opens perfectly fine in my browsers).

https://syndic8.scopus.com/getMessage?registrationId=FGBGGIIGFGBGFGBHHGCNGHDPFOCHGGBNNOHJKLHHLA

I tried another WordPress feed and it can be saved, so it's Scopus specific.

A workaround, when the Scopus feed is set, is double-clicking an item which opens in Scopus, and then save the record in Zotero with the connector.
    - Maybe this workaround for Scopus can be automatized using the same mechanism the Zotero connector uses (I suggest without knowing the intricacies of the problem)
    - Zotero should display some error messages, either when a feed can't be saved like right now, or when an item can't be moved to a folder. Actually it remains silent when not performing the tasks which is confusing.

Thanks again!
  • I think I have a synchronization issue ("Error connecting to server. Check your Internet connection") which may or may not explain the Scopus feed not saving.

I'll check further and open a new thread for this problem - sorry my troubles come in packs as it seems...
  • Zotero should clone the item from the feed if it cannot save it by opening the page in the background, so this is a bug. Will be fixed shortly.
  • As for why it fails: if you need to do any kind of in-browser authentication to access the database, then "proper" saving from Zotero won't work, since Zotero doesn't share the credentials with your browser. The cloned feed item metadata is not guaranteed to be of great quality either. The only workaround in that case would be opening each link individually in the browser where you have Zotero Connector installed and saving from there.
  • A connection error could definitely cause the failure to save, too, though. Zotero actually does exactly what you describe above -- open the item in scopus and click the "Save to Zotero" button -- but if it can't connect to the internet, that obviously doesn't work. I'd start a separate thread if the error connecting to server issue persists. (starting here: https://www.zotero.org/support/kb/connection_error )
  • Ok thanks. I'll open a new thread for the connexion error, which happens only on my university wire network but not with my university wifi.

So connected to my university wifi, I can access the Scopus platform without being logged to my personnal Scopus account. I can recreate an RSS feed in Zotero, then moving the items to folders still doesn't work.

So far I tested these combinations, none of which allowed to move items:
    - Remote connexion to Scopus via university proxy, with or without being logged to my personnal account,
    - Remote direct connexion to Scopus, being logged to my personnal account,
    - On-site connexion via wifi to Scopus with or without being logged to my personnal account.

The only thing I couldn't test at this point is on-site wire connexion, but I'm not sure it'll change anything.
  • This should work:
    On-site connexion via wifi to Scopus with or without being logged to my personnal account.
    Could you submit a debug ID for an attempt to do this:
    https://www.zotero.org/support/debug_output
  • Sure thanks,

I did 2 attempts: click on "Add to My Library" and drag n drop in a Test folder.

Debug ID : D805847250
  • It looks like you still don't have proper unauthenticated access to the RIS export:
    (3)(+0000000): Translate: RIS: Dropping line outside of RIS record: […] Scopus couldn’t be completely loaded. Please check your browser, firewall or proxy configuration as explained on this help page