Zotero refusing to insert or adjust citations

Hello,

I am using Zotero for my PhD and have now brought all of the chapters together into one large Word document (86,000 words, 186 pages). Since doing this, Zotero now crashes if I try to insert or adjust any of the citations. I am currently having to edit the citations in a dummy document and paste them into the large document, which is not ideal. Is there any solution for this or is it just the size of the document that is a problem?

I am running Microsoft Office 365 ProPlus, version 1710 (Build 8625.2121) on Windows 10, with Zotero 5.0.25 and the Firefox Add-in.

Thanks,
Alison
  • Part of the problem is certainly the size of the doc, but Zotero still shouldn't crash (unless your computer is running out of memory, I suppose).
    How does the crash manifest itself? Zotero just shuts down? Word is fine?
  • The quick insert bar stops responding as soon as I start typing the name of an author or work to be inserted. I've tried waiting for it to start responding again, but I end up having to shut down Zotero and retart. Word seems to be unaffected.
  • If you select View Output from Help -> Debug Output Logging in Zotero before triggering that, do you see output in the debug window while it's frozen? Are you by any chance able to submit the output and generate a Debug ID?
  • Hmm I'm not sure if it did log it, but it generated Debug ID D248209538
  • That doesn't show anything relevant. You want to open that window, switch to Word, bring up the citation window, and then watch the debug window as you try to type.
  • OK, have done that - the Debug Output window just generates huge quantities of script and keeps scrolling and scrolling until it freezes
  • It won't let me submit now, though, because it's frozen
  • Ok, having said that it's now unfrozen! Debug ID D503136068
  • After you open Zotero and Word and add a citation to this document, are further insertions faster? Note that it might seem that Zotero has fronzen, but it's actually processing the citations (you have over 500, which is a pretty big number), so you just have to wait.
  • I am in the same predicament as Alison. Zotero has stopped functioning normally in my Word document across two Mac's and a number of institutionally maintained PC's.
  • My Debug ID is D1491292236
  • We'd want "same predicament" specified. What exactly happens? What troubleshooting have you attempted? What size is the document? Does the same issue occur in a new document?