What happened to citation "names" in Zotero 5.0

Two questions:
(1) First, is it correct to assume that Zotero will no longer work with FireFox once the new version of the latter is released, and thus one's ONLY option is to use Zotero stand-alone plus the linking function from another web-browser (like Safari) which still permits saving items to Zotero (albeit into the stand-alone version's window)? In other words, is there no way to get the Zotero "Z" function in any other web browser?

(2) More important: In the former version of Zotero that ran inside of Firefox, if one pointed at a particular citation, at the top of the "info" pane there would be a citation name like "_smith_2015". Now that tag or name no longer appears in Zotero stand-alone. Is it possible to have it appear? The reason I ask is that when one exports a collection in say Bibtex format to use in RMarkdown (which reads Bibtex file by names like "_smith_2015"), it was very convenient to copy that name from the Zotero info pane associated with the citation and then paste it into RMarkdown while writing. What does one do now?

Thank you.
  • 1) You will need to run Standalone, but that does connect to Firefox the same way it does to Safari and Chrome

2) That was never a function of Zotero but of the BetterBibTeX add-on. That add-on has just been released in a Zotero 5 compatible version.
  • You are very helpful as always. What we'd do without you, I can not imagine.

Two quick follow-ups:
    (1) So, within Firefox, do I use the "Z" button or not? I'm rather afraid to touch it when Zotero standalone is running, and I'm not exactly clear on whether or not I MUST have Zotero standalone running or can still run Zotero completely within Firefox?

(2) Would you remind me: How do I add the BetterBibTex add-on within either Zotero standalone or Zotero-within-FireFox? It is all rather confusing now trying to figure it out
  • 1) There shouldn't be a Z button with the Zotero connector for Zotero 5 and you cannot still use Zotero completely within Firefox, so you have to have Standalone running*

2) https://github.com/retorquere/zotero-better-bibtex/wiki/Installation

*technically the connector can connect to your online Zotero library when Standalone isn't running, but that works much less well and has reduced functionality compared to having Standalone running
  • Amazing. It looks like it all worked. A thousand thanks.