Date field doesn't follow locale

This discussion was created from comments split from: Change date format in Zotero 5.
  • edited November 11, 2017
    I have just swapped from Zotero on Firefox to Zotero 5. While the 'Date Added' displays nicely in EN-GB locale of DD/MM/YYYY, howeverm the 'Date', ie the publication date, comes in various formats including e.g. March 1, 2011; 03/2011; 2011/02/22 or February 2011.
    I would prefer one date format which I seem to remember was what Zotero on Firefox produced, regardless of how one entered the 'Date' of the publication.
    At the moment Zotero seems to treat this field like simple text field replicating the how one entered it, though it is still able to sort it correctly. A bit confusing.
  • I would prefer one date format which I seem to remember was what Zotero on Firefox produced
    No, this has always been the case. The Date field is basically a text field with a hidden portion that allows for proper sorting.

There's an open (though temporarily stalled) issue to display the date uniformly when it can be parsed cleanly out of the field.