last year data lost

Hi,
I install the Zotero 5 version following the instructions. I have lost all the items of 2018 and the bibliography style that I have installed in the old version both in the group library on the web and in the “local” library. I just have the data of 2017. Unfortunately I was confidant and I did not make a copy. There is a way to find my lost data?
  • edited November 10, 2017
    Zotero 5 should automatically use your existing data directory. It sounds like that might not have happened, but your existing data is almost certainly still intact.

1) What version of Zotero were you using before on this computer, and how recently?

2) What's the current location of your Zotero data directory?

3) Were you using a custom data directory before?

4) Do you have a 'zotero' directory within either your Zotero profile directory or Firefox profile directory?

5) What exactly happened when you installed Zotero 5.0? Did you get an error message of some sort, or did it just open with a blank library?
  • Hi,
    I receveid your questions (email 10-11-2017). Thank you. I am not very expert and my english is very poor. I try.. I ansewer following your question number. I lost my data from mars 2017 to november 2017.
    1) I think my old version was 4.0.29.10(x86 en-us. I installed it in 2013. For my bibliography I imported an ISO format. I work in french environnement so my Zotero was half in french
    2) Maybe currunt location is : c:programm file (x(86).Zotero standalone. But I dont' konw if for you is significant
    I can't ansewer to your question 3 and 4. I am not able to verify this. Maybe I haven't no one of this directory ?? Where I can find them ?
    Exploring my new zotero version I find an error message that I copy below. I remember that in the old version I have a message that told me that something do not works but I ignored it because I could use my Zotero as usual. Maybe I have too much items???.
    Thank you very much for your help. It would be very important to me to get back my data 5i use zotero form my librarian work)
    Error message
    1510557228839 addons.update-checker WARN Update manifest for zoteroWinWordIntegration@zotero.org did not contain an updates property
    1510557228880 addons.update-checker WARN Update manifest for zoteroOpenOfficeIntegration@zotero.org did not contain an updates property
    [JavaScript Error: "1510557228884 addons.xpi ERROR Failed to clean updated system add-ons directories.: Win error 2 during operation DirectoryIterator.prototype.next on file C:\Users\efr\AppData\Roaming\Zotero\Zotero\Profiles\w5rupwcc.default\features (Le fichier spécifié est introuvable.
    ) ((unknown module)) No traceback available" {file: "resource://gre/modules/Log.jsm" line: 751}]version => 4.0.29.17, platform => Win32, oscpu => Windows NT 6.1; WOW64, locale => en-US, appName => Zotero, appVersion => 4.0.29.17, extensions => Zotero LibreOffice Integration (3.5.12.SA.4.0.29.17, extension), Zotero Word for Windows Integration (3.5.6.SA.4.0.29.17, extension), Adobe Acrobat (17.12.20093.41392, plugin), Google Update (1.3.33.5, plugin), Microsoft Office 2016 (16.0.4266.1001, plugin), Silverlight Plug-In (5.1.50907.0, plugin), Java(TM) Platform SE 8 U151 (11.151.2.12, plugin), Java Deployment Toolkit 8.0.1510.12 (11.151.2.12, plugin), Intel® Identity Protection Technology (4.0.5.0, plugin), Intel® Identity Protection Technology (4.0.5.0, plugin), Shockwave Flash (27.0.0.170, plugin), ActiveTouch General Plugin Container (3016.2.2017.127, plugin)

ID du rapport 848432496

• Maybe currunt location is : c:programm file (x(86).Zotero standalone
    To be clear, I was asking about the Zotero data directory. See the instructions there for determining your current data directory. What you're describing is the program directory, which is (or at least should be) totally separate.
    I can't ansewer to your question 3 and 4. I am not able to verify this. Maybe I haven't no one of this directory ?? Where I can find them ?
    The Firefox page explains exactly how to get there, and you can do the same for the Zotero directory. You'll definitely have both profile directories — whether you have a 'zotero' directory within those is what we're trying to determine.
  • Hi,
    I managed to get back my data. But I still have problems : On my new Zotero toolbar there is no more the little rectangular icon (on the right, near the arrow of synchronization) that served to have both the zotero window and the web pages on the same screen. It was very helpful and essential to adding items. In the tutorial on zotero web site ”getting stuff to your Zotero library”, this icon is present. How can I do for having both web pages and zotero windows on the same screen?
    Thank you
  • That change is because Zotero is no longer housed inside Firefox due to changes from Mozilla:
    https://www.zotero.org/blog/zotero-5-and-firefox-faq/

See here for tips on moving easily between Zotero, your browser, and your word processor:
    https://www.zotero.org/support/kb/switching_between_programs

Note that items will save from your browser to whatever collection you have selected in the Zotero app.
  • Thank you but it is too bad... The tab fonction is not also useful as the lost icon... If I use Zotero for Chrome would it be possible to have again this fonction?
  • edited November 22, 2017
    There is no browser that will allow an extension build a pane at the bottom like Zotero for Firefox used to do. That sort of technology just isn't supported anymore by Firefox, Chrome, or Safari.

You can arrange the two app windows on your screen so that they are arranged similarly to old pane view (i.e., by resizing them to be at the top and bottom) or you can arrange them side-by-side or on two separate monitors. But in general, I would recommend just trying to use Cmd/Alt+Tab. I think that you will find in time that it lets you work even more quickly than you did before.