Zotero keeps asking to restart for update

Hello,

I have a situation where a Windows user was trying to update Zotero, and the update keeps saying that a restart is needed to finish a previous installation. We restart the computer but do not see Zotero updated. We then try the update again and get the same message. Are there any registry keys that need to be removed or is there any way of stopping any previous installation of Zotero. Thank you for your help
  • While this shouldn’t happen, you can resolve it by downloading the Zotero installer from http://zotero.org/download and re-installing (no need to uninstall first).
  • I'm having the some problem. rebooting doesn't help, nor does reinstalling. When I try to uninstall, Zotero keeps asking me to reboot to finalize update, and wont uninstall.
  • Check C:\Program Files (x86) and delete either the "Zotero Standalone" or "Zotero" directory manually. Then try reinstalling 5.0.
  • Greetings,
    I am having the same problem as above. I'm hesitant to simply delete the old Zotero Standalone without knowing that the new one is working. I'm afraid of loosing my old libraries. Is there any assurance the data has been migrated? I just registered with Zotero today and activated my Sync options (via the old 4.0 version I am still using).

A little background:

After losing the ability to add citations in any (new or old) word document, I attempted to to update as a solution. Attempting to 'update' from within Standalone 4.0 just gives errors. I downloaded 5.0, installed, rebooted and see the Zotero shortcut on my desktop as well as the old Zotero Standalone shortcut.

Looking in my files I see the old Zotero Standalone
    here: C:\Program Files (x86) (the desktop shortcut points to this file)
    and here: C:\Users\cbaughman\AppData\Local

The new Zotero files showed up here:
    C:\Users\cbaughman\AppData\Local
  • The data are not stored in the same location as the software. You can remove the Zotero Standalone folder without any risk to the data. I'd remove the one in Program Files -- I'd expect that this will fix the problem for you.

(The problem, it would seem like, results from different permission levels -- you installed the old Standalone as admin and are trying to install the 5.0 as a regular user. I'd actually recommend the latter, but the combination of the two doesn't work)
  • I was having this exact issue and the comment from adamsmith about deleting the program was the only thing that worked. Fortunately, as he mentioned, all of my data was still there when I reinstalled.
    Thanks!