OSCOLA p./pp.

Hi, I am using OSCOLA code which does not show page symbols ('p./pp.'). It is great but I want to make it show the page symbols (p.=page, pp.=pages). Any suggestions? Thanks!!!
  • could you specify that? For what item type cited how do you want the page abbreviation?
  • yes, I would like for books, book chapters and statutes that the symbol p./pp. appear before the designated number. Right now OSCOLA is not showing any symbol.

For example

This is how I want it to appear:
    Simon Chesterman, Ian Johnstone and David M Malone, Law and Practice of the United Nations, (2nd edn, OUP, 2016), pp. 477–513.
    Malcolm N Shaw, International Law, (7th edn, CUP, 2014), p. 194.

This is how it appears now:
    Simon Chesterman, Ian Johnstone and David M Malone, Law and Practice of the United Nations, (2nd edn, OUP, 2016), 477–513.
    Malcolm N Shaw, International Law, (7th edn, CUP, 2014), 194.

Thanks
  • May I ask why? OSCOLA is very explicit "Page numbers stand alone, without ‘p’ or ‘pp’ ." (p. 33, section 3.1.3)
  • I have been asked by my supervisors. No other style fits their requirements and the only problem is this :( Any tip would be great! Thanks!
  • In the style find
    <group delimiter=" ">
    <choose>
    <if locator="page" match="none">
    <label variable="locator" form="short" strip-periods="true"/>
    </if>
    </choose>
    <text variable="locator"/>
    </group>
    </macro>

replace with

<group delimiter=" ">
    <label variable="locator" form="short"/>
    <text variable="locator"/>
    </group>
    </macro>

General instructions here
  • It worked! Thanks a million!
  • Sorry to piggy back on this rather older topic, but is there a way to suppress the single p. but leave the multi-range pp.? Just wondering b/c my supervisor wants us to use a modified style...Thanks!
  • More involved -- you'd have to redefine the terms, specifically the short form of pages to be blank for single and pp. for multiple. On the road right now, so can't provide details, but maybe that's enough for you to figure this out together with above documentation?
  • Hm...sounds a bit complicated...I'll see what I can do. I've been using the visual editor really b/c my coding skills are not too great (am not totally ignorant, but also not horribly proficient in editing styles, even with the guide). But I'll try.

Also, I'm on to a new battle - the citation to statutes not having a public law number also known as necessary for legal citations...stupid OSCOLA...

Thanks for the super fast answer!
  • Specially, you need to edit the “locale” section at the top of the style (or add one if there isn’t one) to add a translation for the “page” term. Set the “single” value to “” and the plural value to “pp”.
  • Thanks. this is all so new...

I was actually able to do it via the visual editor...took a lot of clicking through the code tree, but it worked.