Syncing Error & Citation Format Issues With Word Extension

edited November 4, 2017
Hello,

Please tell me if I need to divide this post into different issues. I'm not very experienced with how to do so.

I've migrated to Zotero Stand alone but always used the Firefox version before.

Today I was trying to cite in word as I always have and the files I'd most recently added were not showing in their collection in the Word citation pop-up.

However, they showed in the stand-alone Zotero.

I wondered if syncing was important so I ran a manual sync but got this error:

Report ID: 531326218 ( don't know if I need to paste the whole error text or if the ID is enough?)

Methods I attempted:

- I re-installed the Word extension
- updated the status of the Firefox integration
- Re-started word
- Re-started Zotero stand alone

When I did that, the files disappeared from the stand alone as well.

I'm now getting it to cite, *but* the citations aren't looking like they're supposed to. They aren't including the URL or some basic info.

I went into the Style Editor and Style Preview and they display correctly there, but not when cited.

Here is an example in an annotated screenshot (probably better than me trying to explain it in written form): https://screencast.com/t/hHo3M8xldma

Thank you so much for your time!

---

Here is my info if helpful

version => 5.0.24, platform => MacIntel, oscpu => Intel Mac OS X 10.12, locale => en-US, appName => Zotero, appVersion => 5.0.24, extensions => Zotero Word for Mac Integration (5.0.2.SA.5.0.24, extension), Zotero LibreOffice Integration (5.0.6.SA.5.0.24, extension), Shockwave Flash (27.0.0.183, plugin)
  • 1. The items not showing is very odd. Definitely unrelated to syncing. The Word add-on communicates directly with the local Zotero Standalone. Do they show up when you search for them? Can you create side-by-side screenshots of the collections in the add citation dialog and in Standalone?

2. Two possible reasons:
    a) this isn't the first citation to the item. Chicago Manual uses shorter forms for subsequent citations or
    b) you're using the "Note" instead of the "Full Note" citation style. The panel in the Zotero pferences you show does not determine the citation style in your documents (which is a per-document setting). You can set that style under "Set Document Preferences" in the Zotero Word add-on.
  • Thank you. The citation formatting seems to have been from the Word settings. I thought I'd chosen "full note".

The "missing files" were in the main library and had just removed themselves from the collections they were in. I put them back and they seem to be staying now.

However, I'm still receiving a sync error. My settings are:
    - Sync automatically = unchecked
    - Sync full-text content = checked
    - File syncing = nothing checked

I hope this isn't too much to post the text from it? The Reference ID this time is: 1089462387

--Error Message--

[JavaScript Error: "Marking collection 2UI7QVHE as unsynced"]

[JavaScript Error: "Parent collection 2UI7QVHE not found" {file: "chrome://zotero/content/xpcom/sync/syncEngine.js" line: 1293}]

[JavaScript Error: "Error 409 for collection ATGMR5ZN in My Library:

ZoteroObjectUploadError: Parent collection NQKFCVUT not found"]

[JavaScript Error: "Marking collection NQKFCVUT as unsynced"]

[JavaScript Error: "Parent collection NQKFCVUT not found" {file: "chrome://zotero/content/xpcom/sync/syncEngine.js" line: 1293}]

[JavaScript Error: "Error 409 for collection 7XJWCCQR in My Library:

[JavaScript Error: "Parent collection NQKFCVUT not found" {file: "chrome://zotero/content/xpcom/sync/syncEngine.js" line: 1293}]

[JavaScript Error: "Error 409 for collection HGSVXJZC in My Library:

ZoteroObjectUploadError: Parent collection HUDFVEJE not found"]

[JavaScript Error: "Marking collection HUDFVEJE as unsynced"]

[JavaScript Error: "Parent collection HUDFVEJE not found" {file: "chrome://zotero/content/xpcom/sync/syncEngine.js" line: 1293}]

[JavaScript Error: "Error 409 for collection DJ82VBBX in My Library:

ZoteroObjectUploadError: Parent collection 2UI7QVHE not found"]

[JavaScript Error: "Marking collection 2UI7QVHE as unsynced"]

[JavaScript Error: "Parent collection 2UI7QVHE not found" {file: "chrome://zotero/content/xpcom/sync/syncEngine.js" line: 1293}]

[JavaScript Error: "Error 409 for collection SVIZIWEV in My Library:

[JavaScript Error: "Error 409 for collection UT2MREIG in My Library:

ZoteroObjectUploadError: Parent collection HUDFVEJE not found"]

[JavaScript Error: "Marking collection HUDFVEJE as unsynced"]

[JavaScript Error: "Parent collection HUDFVEJE not found" {file: "chrome://zotero/content/xpcom/sync/syncEngine.js" line: 1293}]

[JavaScript Error: "Made no progress during upload -- stopping" {file: "chrome://zotero/content/xpcom/sync/syncEngine.js" line: 1338}]

[JavaScript Error: "Made no progress during upload -- stopping" {file: "chrome://zotero/content/xpcom/sync/syncEngine.js" line: 1338}]

[JavaScript Error: "The operation couldn't be completed. (OSStatus error -1708.) @[setTextRaw:field.m:414]" {file: "file:///Applications/Zotero.app/Contents/Resources/extensions/zoteroMacWordIntegration@zotero.org/components/zoteroMacWordIntegration.js" line: 212}]

[JavaScript Error: "Discarding invalid field 'libraryCatalog' for type 13 for item 1/null"]

[JavaScript Error: "Discarding invalid field 'libraryCatalog' for type 13 for item 1/null"]

version => 5.0.24, platform => MacIntel, oscpu => Intel Mac OS X 10.12, locale => en-US, appName => Zotero, appVersion => 5.0.24, extensions => Zotero Word for Mac Integration (5.0.2.SA.5.0.24, extension), Zotero LibreOffice Integration (5.0.6.SA.5.0.24, extension), Shockwave Flash (27.0.0.183, plugin)
  • That's odd. Could you check Database Integrity in the Preferences under Advanced --> Files and Folders.
  • I did as instructed and it said no errors were found.

I don't know if this is helpful, but this is the folder. It's the default users/myusername/Zotero: https://screencast.com/t/3zJ7lS8v

Just in case, I tried syncing again and still got the error. Not sure if there's something "left over" from the Firefox extension version that's getting wires crossed? I'm obviously not knowledgeable enough about the inner workings to know if that even makes sense :)
  • Try disabling all other add-ons, in particular better bibtex.
  • and if that doesn't help, please provide another error report ID, still with all other add-ons disabled. No need to post any output here -- just the ID is fine.
  • I went to the add-ons manager and it doesn't show the BibTex. Only the Libre Office and Mac integrations and Shockwave Flash plugin.

Am I in the wrong place?: https://screencast.com/t/8jEgUggcgSl6
  • edited November 7, 2017
    For the two different sets of items, is it possible that you still have Zotero 4.0 for Firefox rather than the Zotero Connector installed in Firefox? If you still have Zotero 4.0 installed in Firefox and set to a different data directory, and there's a separate problem with syncing, you could see different collection results between Zotero 5.0 and the Add Citation dialog (if you started Firefox first and the Add Citation dialog is showing your Zotero 4.0 for Firefox library instead of your Zotero 5.0 library).

So as a first step, go to Firefox and see what you have installed there, and if you still have the full version of Zotero there, sync that and make sure it completes.

We can then help you through reconciling those data directories (by copying files and/or resolving the sync error and then removing the redundant data directory).
  • Sorry for the delay. I looked again and only have the connector, but do have two other things that I think only worked with old Zotero: https://screencast.com/t/GX3HnSfUi

Could the old directory still be somewhere anyways crossing wires?
  • Those shouldn't matter but you should uninstall them from Firefox. (They'll be automatically disabled in Firefox 57 anyway.)

There's not really any other way for you to see different results between Zotero and the Add Citation dialog (which is just part of Zotero). Are you still seeing different results, or has that problem been resolved?

If it's no longer happening, there's a good chance it was what I described and you simply hadn't installed the Connector yet in Firefox. You can confirm that your current Zotero data directory is at ~/Zotero (the root of your home directory) and then check for a stray 'zotero' directory in either your Zotero profile directory or Firefox profile directory. If one of those exists, you can back it up and then delete it (and keep the backup until you're sure your current directory has the data you need).

And if you are now seeing the data you expect, are you still getting a sync error? If so, we'd want to see a Debug ID (different from a Report ID) for a sync attempt that causes that.
  • Sorry if that was unclear. I am not seeming to have the conflicting sources displaying anymore, Even though I didn’t change anything and did have the connector.

But I am still having the sync error and it just makes the report every time. If it’s not too much, could you instruct me on the debug method you were referring to?

Thank you so much for your time
  • I provided a link to instructions.
  • (anything in red and underlined is a link, usually to more instructions)
  • So sorry for missing that and for the delay. I tried doing the instructions but nothing happened when I selected the "submit" from the help Debug menu.

So I selected the "view Output" from the menu and it then opened the Debug Output. Then I clicked the "submit" button but it then said "Error submitting output" in big red font at the top: https://screencast.com/t/y7zqq7K72u

I didn't get an ID from it, sorry.
  • when you click "view output" (after letting it log a failed sync attempt), select all, paste it to a text editors save, and send to support@zotero.org with a link to this thread.

Most likely, though, something is interfering with you connection, typically
    https://www.zotero.org/support/kb/ssl_certificate_error';
    or
    https://www.zotero.org/support/kb/connection_error
  • I just sent it. Thank you so much. Will try out these other posts as well in the meantime.
  • Hi again. I may have missed it but I haven't seen a reply to the email with the info about the sync error. Just checking in. Many thanks!
  • Are you still getting a sync error? The error in your report (from an emoji in a collection name) should've been fixed a couple weeks ago.
  • Oh! You are correct. It works now :) Many thanks and apologies for not attempting it again before checking in.