Copied item and delete original - results in both items being deleted

Zotero: standalone - beta 5.0

Browser: Firefox

I have a problem with moving webpage items added via to Zotero via the Firefox plugin.

Since items can't be moved I use the work around. That is: copy item to new location then delete the original. However, this no longer seems to work (I assumed it did before, but may not have noticed).

The problem is that deleting the original item results in the new copied item ALSO being deleted.

Any suggestions or comments appreciated.

• You're likely actually deleting the original item (i.e. move to trash) which indeed removes it in both locations as "copy" isn't a good description of what's going on when you're moving items to a different collection: it's still the same item, just assigned to two (or more) collection. If you are careful to just press the delete button or use right-click remove from collection, the item in the new location will stick.

Alternatively, you _can_ move items between collections by holding the shift key (cmd on Mac) while dragging & dropping.
  • Thanks for the quick reply : -)

Your advice has clarified the difference between 'move item to trash' and 'remove from collection'. Also, great to know items can now be moved.