Creation of new file into Zotero - via a dummy folder

In many ways I view Zotero as a replacement file system... the famed SQL based system that was to be part of some recent OSes...

However in that spirit I find it impossible to make new files from within zotero. I create notes, drawings and presentations related to my research, and recently I've started using Zotero to organize these. So if I have to create a drawing in say, Corel Draw, I have to create a dummy .cdr file, then import into zotero using 'store copy of file', reopen through zotero and delete the original.
I guess another way to achieve a similar result would be to create the file and then store a link to it in Zotero...

Instead, if, say, Zotero had a dummy folder that showed up in a file browser (Windows explorer or Nautilus in linux), called 'Zotero Library', then I could open Corel draw and simply save to that directory, causing it to get dropped into the actual zotero library.

Now this seems to be going more mainstream and away from a firefox extension, but it might be a useful plugin especially now that the Zotero folder location is configurable. Again, under 'Zotero Library' if the collections and subcollections showed up as subfolders, then I could save the doc in the right place to start with! In future then my own research docs would also get synced to a central server...