Choosing "preferences" freezes my machine

I'm on Ubuntu 9.04 beta, but originally installed Zotero in Ubuntu 8.08. Firefox 3.0.10. Whenever I choose "preferences", my entire machine freezes. Sometimes I get some the preferences window visible first. Not even ctrl-alt-F1 gets me a terminal, but the mouse does move. I have to hard-reset my machine.
  • Zotero itself can't really freeze your entire machine, but perhaps you are/were using a custom data directory location and it can't be accessed? I'm not sure why you'd have such a problem in the prefs and not in Zotero itself in that case, but you might want to go to about:config in the Firefox address bar, type zotero.dataDir in the filter box, and reset the three prefs there.
  • I just downgraded to 1.09 and everything works fine now.

I understand that Zotero by itself couldn't do something that drastic, but obviously it is triggering a bug somewhere else (in Gnome?). The datadir was standard and all the permissions there worked.

I'm fine now, so whatever. But you can email me if you think you have a fix, or before you go out of beta.
  • Does it happen in a new Firefox profile?

If you'd like to help find the cause, you might also try running Firefox with debug output enabled just to see what the last line is.