Word could not communicate with Zotero.

Hi,

I downloaded Zotero 5.0 on my Mac and the connection to Safari works perfectly. While I can also see it on my Word toolbar after installing it manually, it always says "Word could not communicate with Zotero. Please ensure that Zotero or Firefox is open and try again."

Both Zotero and Firefox are open..

I would appreciate any suggestions!
  • edited October 19, 2017
    What version of Zotero and specific Word version (e.g., 15.39) are you running (Firefox isn't relevant here)?
  • Zotero 5.0.22 and Word 15.38

Thank you!
  • Why did you need to install the toolbar manually? Is Word plugin present and enabled in Zotero -> Tools -> Add-ons?
  • Add ons >

- Plugins: You don't have any add-ons of this type installed
    - Extensions: Zotero Word for Mac integration (Preferences ; Disable)

... that is what I found. Since there is a "Disable" button I figured it would be enabled.

• Could you submit a Report ID?
  • Report-ID: 1962246127
  • Open the terminal, paste
    ls /Users/Shared/.zoteroIntegrationPipe*; ls ~/Library/Containers/com.microsoft.Word/Data/.zoteroIntegrationPipe
    and press Enter. Copy the output and paste here (it contains your username, if it is sensitive, you can XXX it out).
  • Which terminal?
  • edited October 19, 2017
    The OS terminal. You can find it with Spotlight or under /Applications/Utilities/Terminal.app
  • Last login: Thu Oct 19 16:09:41 on ttys000
    eduroam-int-dhcp-97-79-74:~ XX$
    eduroam-int-dhcp-97-79-74:~XX$ ls
    /Users/Shared/.zoteroIntegrationPipe*; ls ~/Library/Containers/com.microsoft.Word/Data/.zoteroIntegrationPip
    /Users/Shared/.zoteroIntegrationPipe_XXX
    ls: /Users/XXXr/Library/Containers/com.microsoft.Word/Data/.zoteroIntegrationPip: No such file or directory
    eduroam-int-dhcp-97-79-74:~ XX$

• You missed an 'e' at the end of that command ('Pipe', not 'Pip').
  • Sorry that must have gone missing when I copy and pasted it, just checked it again, its on the original one.
  • What do you mean by "its on the original one"? Can you post the output again (after XXXing) of the correct command?
  • Last login: Fri Oct 20 08:30:47 on ttys000
    Annas-MacBook:~ XX$ ls /Users/Shared/.zoteroIntegrationPipe*; ls ~/Library/Containers/com.microsoft.Word/Data/.zoteroIntegrationPipe
    /Users/Shared/.zoteroIntegrationPipe_XX
    ls: /Users/XX/Library/Containers/com.microsoft.Word/Data/.zoteroIntegrationPipe: No such file or directory
    Annas-MacBook:~ XX$

Not sure why it looked so different yesterday
  • Could you submit a restart debug log (Help -> Debug Output Logging -> Restart with Logging Enabled...)? Then after a restart submit the log under Help -> Debug Output Logging and post the ID here.
  • Thanks for your help! It started working after I restarted it with "logging enabled".

I really appreciate it.
  • That's not meant to be a fix, to be clear, so it's likely that just restarting fixed this. You should restart again without logging enabled.