APA style: In-press articles

edited October 17, 2017
When an article is placed online by the publisher and labeled as "in-press" or "advanced publication" but not assigned to a specific volume/issue, some styles such as APA refers to these as: Advance online publication. Currently, the APA template does not accommodate this information anywhere. In APA style, these three words ending in a period (regular font) are added following the italicized journal title and a period, and before the DOI. I have tried a number of workarounds including putting this info in Extra, changing the Type to Document or Book section, but none work exactly for APA style.

Is it possible to add another field which could accommodate this info, or insert a conditional in the template code which would output this info using existing template fields? Unfortunately, this type of info usually does not appear in the metadata. Here is an in-press article: http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0002870317302648

thanks,
Mike
  • use
    in the Extra field -- I wish we had something more elegant, but it's a bit tricky and this will work correctly for APA .
  • Adam,

This worked perfect for APA style.

thank you,

Mike
  • @adamsmith Is there somewhere an overview of all the Extra field commands?

• Thank you for the link, @bwiernik ! The Extra field is more powerful than I thought. =)
  • Hi @bwiernik is there a reason why it does not work for me? I wrote "status: In Press" in the field "Extra" and when I generate an APA bibliography for that item, there is no mention of In Press.
  • edited February 15, 2019
    Status only kicks in when the date isn't set.

Edit: sorry, not quite right: status is put into the parentheses in the beginning when date isn't set. It's used at the end of the reference list entry for items that have neither issue nor page numbers.
  • I removed the date I had temporarily entered and the "status kicked in" :-)
    thanks guys!
  • btw is there a thread with a description of "what kicks in & when"? Because I just found out that the words "presented at...." come up for conference papers when the Proceedings Title field is empty, in APA style. I guess there are other examples of similar "kicking´in" mechanisms?
  • The APA style is quite complicated. You can look at the various <choose> options here: https://github.com/citation-style-language/styles/blob/master/apa.csl

Generally, I wouldn't worry about any of that. For example, the "presented at" logic you mentioned kicks in when it appears that unpublished conference papers have been incorrectly entered as "Conference Paper" instead of "Presentation", as indicated by the absence of a Proceedings Title. The style is designed to correctly accommodate correctly-entered data and many other common data entry conventions.
  • ok thanks for that @bwiernik , does that mean that if I have a conference paper that has been published only electronically (no print proceeding, no editor, no publisher), then it is best to use "Presentation" instead of "Conference paper"?
  • Yes, you should use Presentation unless it has been formally included in the conference’s proceedings.
  • (The proceedings could be electronic-only, like many IEEE conference proceedings or Academy of Management Proceedings. Use Conference Paper for those. Use Presentation for items which are available more informally online, such as being posted to a repository or personal website.)