reference types

I'm new to Zotero. I found it after I was compelled to use EndNote at work & absolutely had to find a better solution. So far so good--thanks for a fantastic program!

I am having some trouble with some reference types, however, & find that I am using "Report" so often it's becoming confusing. I like "Report" as a category because it includes a "Report type" field for further clarification of what the record is. Most other reference types--like "Document"--don't have this.

Here are some examples of things I'm sticking into Reports that might warrant some new reference type categories:

- Plans
- Agreements/contracts
- Press releases
- Newsletters
- Grant proposals

Or are there better existing ways to handle these?
  • Well, most of these could be handled if more generic types like Document and Report were more flexible.
  • If your source is published, use Report, if your source is unpublished, use Manuscript--it also has a "type" field.
  • Thanks for the comments.

Yes, more flexibility would help, but when it comes time to sort things out, it is still hard to find everything unless you can sort on sub-fields.
  • For sorting it might be worth playing around with some sets of tags and or some saved searches. If you set them up as reports or manuscripts and then specify different types in the type field you can create saved searches for each of those types. You could achieve something vary similar with tags.