Zotero storage folder on network?

Would it be possible to allow folders on the network to act as storage for zotero?

Currently it allows local folders, which is fantastic for dual-boot systems like mine. However, pending the centralized server sync for zotero, (and for people with privacy concerns) would it be possible to allow zotero to store files to a network folder (and pop up a simple error if the network folder is inaccessible)? This would allow the user to store data on a central server while accessing it from anywhere with firefox and an extension! It could also possibly allow collaborative research.

Finally, best would be a selectable list of folders, local and remote... to switch between one's own research and collaborative. In fact, the best situation would be the possibility of showing multiple data sources at once and transferring info between them (while this might be confusing for most users, by default zotero could run by default in single local folder mode)

e.g. if I want to collaborate with a lab group on one project while continuing research on my dissertation, we could use a shared folder for the lab group and a local for my research...
  • Mounting/mapping the network resource to a drive works (but is unsupported). See:
    http://forums.zotero.org/discussion/518/