Zotpad for IOS11

Hi,
My Zotpad app no longer works on IOS11. When will it be updated?
Regards
Willem
  • It won’t be. The Zotpad developer stopped working on it around 5 years ago. It was a third party app, not developed by Zotero.
  • edited October 10, 2017
    OK, thanks. Moving on to something else then. Should have checked before I renewed my storage subscription!
  • You can still use the zotero.org web library on your iPad, the PaperShip app, or the Zotfile plugin to send PDFs to your iPad and back.
  • On another forum I read that you cannot still use Papership (which I use all the time). It is not compatible with Zotero 5 (to which I was about to upgrade!). Very unfortunate.
  • It has nothing to do with Zotero 5. It’s just that PaperShip hasn’t been updated in over a year and appears to be abandoned. It’s sync functions are currently broken (it can sync from the server, but can it send changes back).
  • edited October 15, 2017
    I looked at Mendeley (storage is very expensive) and ReadCube (could not figure out how to get my whole library of 1,300 papers and books onto my device in one go).

I have installed Papership and synced my library. Works well (with a few quirks). I do not send changes back, so have not tested that. For me the key is having my library with me on long flights (I am based in Australia so I really mean long flights) and on remote sites in the outback, Southeast Asian jungle or Canadian Arctic with no Internet connection.

Perhaps if the developer were to charge a nominal amount, it would be maintained?

Thanks
  • Mikko used to charge for ZotPad. He stopped maintaining it when he lost the time and needed to focus on his research work.
  • and PaperShip has/had an in-app purchase of annotation features as part of their business model. I don't know the details here, but Shazino (the PaperShip maker) sold their signature app -- Hivebench -- to Elsevier. I'd guess that much of the team went along.
  • Yes, seems like their main developers went to Elsevier:

"Julien Thérier [CEO and founder of Shazino and Hivebench] and Vincent Tourraine (lead developer at Hivebench) will join Elsevier’s Mendeley Data team in London."

https://www.elsevier.com/about/press-releases/corporate/elsevier-acquires-laboratory-data-management-tool-hivebench