Question about MEDLINE abbreviations in citation styles

Hello, I did search through documentation and the forums, but couldn't find any information about this question. I do know that some styles have the option to use MEDLINE journal abbreviations to override the "Journal Abbr" citation field. My question is, why don't all citation styles show this option in the "Document Preferences" window? If I am creating a new style (or saving modifications to an existing style), does this option get added by default? Thanks for any info anyone can point me to, and apologies if this has already been asked and I could not find it!
  • The option only shows up for styles that use abbreviated journal titles at all (e.g., it doesn’t show up for APA, which spells out the full title).
  • and in a new style, you'd need to use form="short" on container-title for this to show up.
  • Excellent - thank you! So if I were creating a new style or modifying an old one, that's the bit of XML I'd need to change. Much thanks to you both for your prompt and helpful explanations!