Transfer Library to New Computer

I transferred my library from a Windows computer to a Mac. I am running the latest Zotero. I have used Zotero for years and have nearly 10,000 items in my library. Although I copied the library folder from the old data directory to the new location on the new laptop, it is telling me that the database is empty. When I open Zotero, it gives me a warning saying that I am trying to sync to an empty database. I have tried choosing the directory when given the option just to see what would happen and the Zotero database is indeed in the location indicated in Preferences. I would love some advice as this represents many years of work and I don't want to lose it.
  • By far the likeliest solution is that you're not pointing Zotero to the transferred directory -- potentially you're just one level to high or too low.

In Zotero, in the advanced tab of the Zotero preferences under Files and Folders, if you click on Show Data Directory, what are the sized of any .sqlite files (and .sqlite.bak, sqlite.damaged, etc.) in the folder that opens.

Also, just to confirm, by latest Zotero you mean 5.0.21, correct?
  • Thank you so much for the message. When I click on Show Data Directory, it points to the Zotero folder. Is it meant to point to a folder within Zotero?

There are four .sqlite entries:

zotero.sqlite = 918 KB
    zotero.sqlite-journal = 91 KB
    zotero.sqlite.1.bak = 1.05 GB
    zotero.sqlite.77.bak = 1.09 GB
    zotero.sqlite.bak = 1.05 GB

I just downloaded from the Zotero site the Mac version so I'm assuming it's 5.0.21. I'm not sure where to look to confirm that.
  • Do you mean GB or MB for those .bak files?
  • It says GB in the .bak files under "size."
  • If you close Zotero, rename
    zotero.sqlite to zotero.sqlite.old
    and
    zotero.sqlite.77.bak to zotero.sqlite

then restart Zotero, that should show your library. If there are items missing, sync will pull them in.

I'm not sure why this happened though. What you did to transfer the library should have just worked.
  • Thank you so much!!!! It worked!!!!