right-click in Zotero 5 results in misplaced / oversized menu window

I upgraded from Vs. 4 to the latest Vs. 5 today. I'm using a Macbook, with two screens (Macbook screen to the left, external monitor to the right). Zotero resides in the left windoww.

It frequently happens now that a right-click brings up the resulting "action menu" on the right screen (exterenal monitor), at a significantly increased size. Have a look at https://www.dropbox.com/s/0aaai88ef75jt87/Screen Shot AddAttachment.pdf?dl=0
or
https://www.dropbox.com/s/dn15dit2cintipj/Screen Shot MergeFile.pdf?dl=0

Seems like a bug that needs fixing.

thank you,

Wolfgang
  • Does it persist after you restart Zotero? Does it happen every time (if not, can you consistently reproduce it? How?) Do you have any unusual display settings (e.g., different resolution setting, accessibility, magnification)? Does it happen if you dosconnect the second display?
  • Dear bwiernik,

thanks for getting back to me. Here's what I've figure out:

The problem occurs reproducibly when I right-click in the "Creator", "Year", "Citekey" columns. Right-click in the side bar, or the "Title" column works flawlessly.

"reproducibly" means: every time, provided that
    1) I use the Macbook Display and the external monitor as separate displays (i.e. no mirroring), with the external monitor being the "main display" (i.e. the one where you place the menu bar in Displays Preferences/Arrangement).
    2) Zotero is located on the Macbook Display

Switching the role of the displays, or moving Zotero to the main display, or using only one display resolves the problem. So there's an obvious workaround: use Zotero only int the "main display". But it would be nice to have this fixed.

Restarts don't change the behaviour

yours,

Wolfgang

PS: OS is latest version of "El Capitain".
  • I would recommend upgrading to High Sierra if your computer supports it (which would be any MacBook from 2009 or later) — no guarantee that will fix the problem, but it'd be the first thing to try.
  • naah, I'll wait until "High Sierra.4" or so. Too many bugs that need ironing out at this point in time. And Sierra is no longer available in the App Store.

yours,

Wolfgang
  • I upgraded to macOS Sierra (final version) and the latest Zotero 5.0.24 - the problem persists.

Wolfgang