Citation Style for Journal

edited September 29, 2017
Hi,

I did try to search for this, but my knowledge of the nomenclature of citation etc lingo isnt sufficient for me to find anything helpful!

I have written a large review paper with hundreds of references for a journal using Zotero citations in Word.

I have used Elsevier -Harvard to get the citations of the form (AUTHOR, YEAR)

However, the journal (and most of the journals in my area of composite materials) uses citations of the form [#], where # is 1 for the first work referenced in the paper, 2 for the second work referenced in the paper, etc

And the References section is then a list of the references, such as,

1. AUTHOR, TITLE, JOURNAL, YEAR, ISSUE, PAGES
2. AUTHOR, TITLE, JOURNAL, YEAR, ISSUE, PAGES
etc

i.e. sorted into the order that they were (first) referenced to in the paper.

I totally agree that this is a daft system as you cant see who is the author in the text, but that is what I have to do.

(I thought it would be easy to swap over styles - live and learn!)

Any ideas on how to do this?

Thanks
  • hard to say which style is best, but this _is_ easy to do. Here are e.g. >50 engineering citation styles that work this way:
    https://www.zotero.org/styles?fields=engineering&format=numeric&dependent=0
  • And you can then switch the citation style under Set Document Preferences: https://www.zotero.org/support/word_processor_plugin_usage
  • Thanks!
    Boy am I happy :)

I had just found out that this was a 'numeric' citation system - duh!

I used 'Elsevir numeric (with titles)' and its all done.

Is there any way to get citations in both of the forms below, depending on the sentence structure?

'... as investigated by AUTHOR [#]'

'Other work [#] has shown ...'
  • No, sorry; we'd expect you to spell out "AUTHOR" in the text yourself (as you would have to for a citation in the form "... as investigated by AUTHOR (2017)"
  • edited October 2, 2017
    Thanks Adam,

That is no problem at all -

My personal, and very easy solution was first to write the paper using Elseveir ('spit'!) Harvard and just insert the references.

Then, when done I went through and cut and text pasted the AUTHORS from the inserted references where the text needed it - e.g 'in the work by Bloggs, (ref) ...'.

Then I changed the Zotero doc prefs to Elseveir ('spit'!) Numeric and refreshed, which gave me my [#] refs and in order of referred References section.

Finally, after backing up the version with the Zotero links, I unlinked the citations to give a file for submission

Of course, I could have just typed in the names and used numeric from the beginning, but I prefer this way

What an amazing sofware Zotero is :)
    AND open source so safe from future payments :)

THANKS!!!!!