Cannot see my items in the main window

I cannot see my items in the main window. This happens after adding some items to one of Group Libraries. After doing so, a wheel keeps rotating by the search window at the top, and no item is shown in the main window. However, if I click on the blank pane, Info of an item is visible on the right. It seems that I can navigate the items by Up or Down cursor key. But clicking on different parts of the blank pain does not change the selected item. Once I restart Zotero, it recovers. But then I can reproduce this by adding a new item (It appears that this only happens with specific items. Looks like it's related to attached PDF? Some PDF files contain Japanese characters in their names and that's a bit worrying) to the Group Library. I confirmed this on Mac and Windows.

Is this a known problem??

Zotero 5.0.21

Debug ID: D391498697

Best,
Kouichi
  • There have been several reports of this error, but we've had a hard time reproducing it consistently. It sounds like you can reproduce it. Can you go through exactly the steps you follow (including when it does and does not break, e.g., regarding attachments)? Does the Debug ID you submitted include the full sequence of steps needed to reproduce the error?
  • It doesn't happen every time, but if keep adding new items to Group Library, it happens eventually maybe within 10 trials. That's my impression so far. Because I spotted an error saying PDF is not found, although it was successfully copied to the Group Library, I suspect the attached PDF may be related. But I may be wrong.

Good to know that I'm not the only one. When I've got time, I'll look into the reproducibility more carefully.

Debug ID: D391498697 was recorded just before addition of an item to Group and submitted immediately after. The symptom appeared at the same time.
  • Well, in this case it looks like there's just an error from ZotFile when adding a file. We'd want to know if this happens with all third-party extensions disabled, and if so we'd want to see a Debug ID for that.
  • Indeed, ZotFile was complaining something. Thank you. Looks like I don't have to investigate it further.
  • Well, it's still possible this will occur, so let us know if you continue to see it.
  • Actually, it happened even after disabling ZotFile. Symptom is similar; blank central pane but you can see Info etc. However, this time I was not editing Group Library. And this time I'm using Mac.
  • See my questions here, for reproducing it after restarting:

https://forums.zotero.org/discussion/comment/287216/#Comment_287216