Missing Z icon

This discussion was created from comments split from: New Zotero will not open.
  • I have been using Zotero since 2009. I used it to help me compose my doctoral dissertation and it has been an indispensable tool. Today, I noticed that the "Z" icon was missing from Firefox, and that was distressing; so I brought up Zotero and installed 5.0 for Windows. I now have a document icon where the "Z" used to be, and that is okay. But when I tried to save a document to a folder in Zotero I received a message that the citation was being saved, but when I went into Zotero, it wasn't there, even after a second try. What I REALLY didn't like it that I didn't get the split screen so that I could SEE the folders and make sure it was going where I wanted it to go, and so that I could possibly edit the result. I realize that all new software upgrades come with bugs, but this one is just too BIG to ignore. PLEASE FIX THIS!!!
  • edited September 11, 2017
    https://www.zotero.org/blog/a-unified-zotero-experience/

The connector saves to the collection you select in Zotero, the same way it always has. If you're not seeing that, make sure that 1) Zotero is open and 2) that the save popup says that it's saving to the selected collection, not to zotero.org. If it says it's saving to zotero.org when Zotero is open, there's a connection error between the Zotero Connector and Zotero that you'll need to resolve.
  • Thanks for the reply. I pinged the connection and received" "Zotero Connector Server is Available"

Doesn't matter though because once again the Zotero icon is missing and can't even download anything. I am not a neophyte when it comes to computers, so this is very frustrating. The way it worked before was simple and worked very well. It wasn't broken, so I can't believe it needed fixing.
  • I hope that you can provide me with a more definitive solution. I cannot use Zotero in its present condition. Thanks!
  • I re-installed the connector again, and now it appears to be working. I'll keep my fingers crossed...
  • The way it worked before was simple and worked very well. It wasn't broken, so I can't believe it needed fixing.
    Read the linked blog post. It's no longer possible for us to produce the full-featured Firefox version, and the way Zotero 5.0 works is simply how Zotero Standalone has always worked.