New Zotero will not open

Hi.

I recently got a new computer and so I had to install the new Zotero 5.0 standalone with the Firefox connector. The only problem is that the program will not open.

I keep getting the following message:
"The Zotero database cannot be opened.

Make sure you have read and write permissions for all files in the Zotero data directory and that security software isn't preventing Zotero from accessing that directory.

You may be able to fix this problem by moving the data directory to the new default location in your home directory. Zotero will automatically detect the new location."

I installed program again in the recommended location and it still will not work. I also tried to fix it online but the recommended webpage (http://127.0.0.1:23119/connector/ping) will also not open despite me disabling proxies and firewalls.

Please help - I desperately need to use Zotero.

Thank you
  • UPDATE - it worked when I right clicked and selected 'Run as administrator'.
  • For what it's worth, it'd be much better to fix the permissions on your data directory than to run Zotero as administrator.
  • Could you possibly advise as to how I can fix permissions on my data directory? I would prefer to run the program correctly.
    Sorry for the ignorance:)
  • No, sorry — that depends on your OS, and is out of scope for these forums. But basically you want to make sure that the Zotero data directory and all files within it are owned and writable by your user account.
  • I'm no expert tannarahme but Google 'fix permissions win10' (or whatever OS) and you'll get some suggestions.