An error has occurred. Please restart Zotero (report ID 383218837)

edited September 3, 2017
I have Zotero 5.0.x on Ubuntu 14.04 installed using Sebastiaan Mathot's method (http://www.cogsci.nl/qnotero#zotero-standalone-ppa-for-ubuntu-linux-mint). It had been working fine until the Zotero app forced me to update (presumably to 5.0.17) a few weeks ago. I didn't really expect any problems so I didn't take note of the exact message I agreed to. At any rate, now I am on 5.0.17. Zotero launches and the menus work, but the first time I click on any reference in the middle pane, the middle pane is replaced with the following message:

"An error has occurred. Please restart Zotero."

After that, I can still click on libraries and collections in the left pane, and the right pane updates with how many entries each has, but the middle pane no longer show anything but the message and the right pane does not show any other information.

My error report number is: 383218837

My data appears to still be there because I can see it when I log into the website. But this is really slowing me down right when I need to finish my grant application for a deadline later this month. I would be really grateful if somebody could advise me on how to fix or work around this.

Thanks.
  • Start by disabling all third-party extensions, and provide another Report ID if the problem still occurs.
  • Thank you. I disabled or removed all non-compatible extensions and after it got done synchronizing I rebooted Zotero. Now it works!

I don't know if it's because of disabling extensions or if maybe previous times I didn't wait long enough for it to finish syncing-- my previous sqlite file was 32Mb, but after this one finished it was more than twice the size. So perhaps the unusable middle and right panes were due to the data not being done syncing.

Anyway, thanks.