import zotero library into zotero

Hi, I have a small problem and I would appreciate it if someone could help me out.

Instead of simply upgrading to the latest Zotero release, I first had to un-install the previous Zotero installation before I could make the recent update work properly.

Before I uninstalled the previous version, I made a copy of the zotero.sqlite file, which, so I believe, contains the references of my previous library.

In the meantime I started to work with the new library (the latest Zotero release). Is it possible now to import my previous Zotero library (the sqlite file which I saved) in my current library -- and, if yes, how should I do that?

Many thanks,

Raf
  • edited April 5, 2007
    It's not (easily) possible to merge the two SQLite files. The best approach would be to get the old SQLite file working in a separate Firefox profile and then use export/import to get the records from the new library into the old one (and then move the merged one back into your main profile).

What problem are you experiencing upgrading? If you're getting an error of some sort, there's a good chance it's not limited to you, and it'd be helpful to debug it and fix it in the code.

Also note that Beta 4 has some bugs that might prevent the new records from importing successful, but we're planning to push another revision that fixes some of those issues soon.
  • Hi Dan, thanks for your reply. The problem I had after upgrading was an error message every time I started firefox, saying "Error exporting Zotero database." When firefox was on, the zotero logo on the bottom had a yellow traingular icon on it, with an exclamation mark in the icon.

In fact I am seeing the same now. I created another profile as you suggested, installed Zotero and replaced the zotero.sql.lite file with the previous zotero.sql.lite file (which has my previous library, I imagine).

The same problem occurs, i.e. the same error message and Zotero will not start.

Thanks for your help,

Raf
  • Sorry, the error message I get when starting firefox was/is "Error migrating Zotero database."
  • Thanks, raf.

Could you follow the steps in the Advanced Instructions section of the Reporting Bugs page and let us know what errors show up in the Error Console?
  • I'm not quite sure whether I did this properly but these are the 5 messages in the error console that contain a URL beginning with “chrome://zotero/...”

Note that the second message does not have a URL in the console:

Error: [Exception... "'[Exception... "Component returned failure code: 0x80004005 (NS_ERROR_FAILURE) [mozIStorageConnection.executeSimpleSQL]" nsresult: "0x80004005 (NS_ERROR_FAILURE)" location: "JS frame :: chrome://zotero/content/xpcom/db.js :: anonymous :: line 94" data: no] [QUERY: INSERT INTO itemData SELECT sourceItemID, 90, note FROM itemNotes WHERE isAbstract=1] [ERROR: no such column: isAbstract]' when calling method: [nsIFactory::createInstance]" nsresult: "0x8057001e (NS_ERROR_XPC_JS_THREW_STRING)" location: "JS frame :: chrome://zotero/content/include.js :: <TOP_LEVEL> :: line 4" data: no]
    Source File: chrome://zotero/content/include.js
    Line: 4

Error: uncaught exception: [Exception... "ServiceManager::GetService returned failure code:" nsresult: "0x80570016 (NS_ERROR_XPC_GS_RETURNED_FAILURE)" location: "JS frame :: chrome://zotero/content/include.js :: <TOP_LEVEL> :: line 4" data: no]

Error: Zotero has no properties
    Source File: chrome://zotero/content/browser.js
    Line: 648

Source File: chrome://zotero/content/overlay.xul
    Line: 369

Source File: chrome://zotero/content/itemPane.js
    Line: 49
  • Do you by any chance have the SQLite 3 command-line client?

If so (or if you can install it--you can download binaries for Windows and Linux from the official site or get it via MacPorts for OS X), please open a command prompt and open the Zotero database with the SQLite client. On Windows you'd do Start, Run, cmd, change to the Zotero data directory, and run something like this:

sqlite3.exe zotero.sqlite

You'll need to add on the path to sqlite3.exe if it's in another directory.

Once you've opened the database, run the following two commands by typing each and hitting Enter:

.dump version
    .schema

If you could either paste the output into here or send it to us at support@zo.....org, we should be able to figure out what's going on.

Thanks a lot.
  • Hi Dan, sorry for the trouble but I have no idea about how to open zotero.sqlite file with sqlite3.exe.

I downloaded the Windows binary; bot zotero.sqlite and sqlite3.exe are on my desktop at the moment.

I tried Start and Run and I can make the command-line client work but I'm not sure how to open the zotero.sqlite file with it.

Thanks, r
  • If both files are on your Desktop, once you've opened the command line with Start, Run, cmd, type "cd Desktop", hit Enter, and then "sqlite3.exe zotero.sqlite"--that should open the SQLite DB.
  • Seriously, I must be doing something wrong here or I just don't see the obvious. These are the steps I took in Windows XP (both the sqlite3.exe and zotero.sqlite are on the desktop).

(1) I go to the Start menu and then choose Run. In the "Run-interface" I browse for sqlite3.exe (which is on the desktop) and click OK (and thus, I open the .exe file).

(2) I see the black field of sqlite3.exe with some text: "SQLite version 3.3.14/.../sqlite>"

(3) After "sqlite>" I type "cd Desktop" and nothing happens -- I just see another line with "...>"

(4) I try to type "sqlite3.exe zotero.sqlite" -- another "...>" appears on the next line.

What did I do wrong!?
  • raf:

Take the following steps. Please follow the instructions exactly as they appear.

1. Go to the Start menu and choose Run.
    2. Type "cmd" without quotes and hit enter. A command prompt will appear.
    3. Click the "C:\" icon in the upper left of the command prompt window and select "Properties".
    4. Select the "Layout" tab and under "Screen Buffer Size" change height to 1000. Click "OK." You will return to the command prompt.
    5. Type "cd Desktop" without quotes and hit enter.
    6. Type "sqlite3 zotero.sqlite" without quotes and hit enter. A sqlite> prompt will appear.
    7. Type ".dump version" without quotes and hit enter. Some text will appear and you'll receive another sqlite> prompt.
    8. Type ".schema" without quotes and hit enter. A bunch more text will appear.
    9. Click the "C:\" icon in the upper left of the command prompt window and select "Edit->Select All."
    10. Click the "C:\" icon in the upper left of the command prompt window and select "Edit->Copy".
    11. Paste the text into this forum thread or into an email message to send to us.
  • Hi Sean and Dan, thanks so much for the instructions. I have no clue about what I just did but it looks great :-)

In any case, I have pasted the text which I copied from the command prompt in an email, sent to the address in the Reporting Bugs page.

Raf
  • Sean / Dan - I haven't yet read all of your above feedback on this topic of library transfers because:

I got a different error message than the above messages when attempting to access a Zotero folder with the correct Zotero.sqlite and other Zotero files that I had transfered from my PC Zotero directory to a new "customized" iMac Zotero directory. I set up the new customized iMac directory from within Zotero as my "custom" default directory in the Zotero setup module. The message I got was when attempting to use this new custom Zotero folder (with my old Zotero data for the PC) was: "Zotero user data DB version is newer than SQL file."

Any help would be appreciated. I gave up using what I now consider to be an outdated EndNote application a full year ago in preference for this newer, 21st century reference manager. I've also recommended this utility to all of my students and collagues at CSU East Bay. I love the product. Thanks in advance for your support - pllh
  • hoagp: http://www.zotero.org/support/kb/newer_db_version
  • Thanks Dan - I missed seeing those instructions - This is one awesome application - Peter