Zotero 5 and Could not create Java implementation loader error

Hi,

I was using the older Firefox zotero plugin and finally wanted to integrate Zotero with Libreoffice. Reading the advice, I decided to bite the bullet and migrate fully to Zotero v5 with the firefox connector and the Libreoffice extension.

I've installed Zotero and the firefox plugin successfully. I can save references and webpages to zotero. However, I am unable to get the Zotero extension to install. I keep receiving the infernal "Could not create Java implementation loader error"

My setup is as follows:

Gentoo hardened linux
Zotero 5.0.17

$ soffice --version
LibreOffice 5.3.4.2

$ java -version
openjdk version "1.8.0_144"
OpenJDK Runtime Environment (IcedTea 3.5.1) (Gentoo icedtea-3.5.1)
OpenJDK 64-Bit Server VM (build 25.144-b01, mixed mode)

LibreOffice was compiled from source with the java USE flag, this is equivalent to libreoffice-java-commons package in other distros. I've enabled java in LO.

Tools -> options -> LibreOffice -> Advanced.
Use a java runtime environment - checked
Selected Oracle Corporation 1.8.0_144

I tried installing the extension via Zotero and manually within LO. However, I still get the same error message: Could not create Java implementation loader.

Next, I've tried to use the command line to try and get more information, but it has not yielded much:

############

$ /usr/bin/unopkg add -v ./opt/Zotero_linux-x86_64/extensions/zoteroOpenOfficeIntegration\@zotero.org/install/Zotero_OpenOffice_Integration.oxt
Raising process: file:///usr/lib64/libreoffice/program/soffice
Arguments: --nologo --nodefault --accept=pipe,name=;urp;
OK. Connecting...OK.

ERROR: An error occurred while enabling: Zotero.jar
Cause: (com.sun.star.registry.CannotRegisterImplementationException) { { Message = "Could not create Java implementation loader", Context = (com.sun.star.uno.XInterface) @0 } }

unopkg failed.

############

The most technical explanation of this error is found here:

Could Not Create Java Implementation Loader
http://wiki.languagetool.org/could-not-create-java-implementation-loader

However, it does not have a solution for this problem that affects many other java based extensions to LO.

What else can I try?
How do I get more meaningful error messages?
How do I confirm that Java is really working in LO?

Thanks.
  • Have you tried Oracle Java instead of OpenJDK?
  • edited September 2, 2017
    No, I uninstalled Oracle java a while ago due to Oracles treatment of users and security issues.

I just installed it temporarily to see if it would work.

Oracle JDK 1.8.0.144 [oracle-jdk-bin-1.8]

$ java -version
    java version "1.8.0_144"
    Java(TM) SE Runtime Environment (build 1.8.0_144-b01)
    Java HotSpot(TM) 64-Bit Server VM (build 25.144-b01, mixed mode)

I made sure I selected the oracle java vm using the eselect java-vm command for both system and users on the command line. I then changed the java environment in LO to use the oracle version....but no go. Same problem after uninstalling and re-installing the Zotero extension. :(
  • Same thing happened for my Windows 10 Home 64 bit OS and LibreOffice 5.3.4.2, running Oracle Java ver 8 update 121 (build 1.8.0_121-b13)
  • @Zotato I'm afraid my suggestions are limited. The problem is LO being unable to use Java or whatever is in the libreoffice-java-common package on other distros for whatever reason, but this is probably not saying anything that you didn't know already.

@mmikey72 see
    https://www.zotero.org/support/word_processor_plugin_troubleshooting#could_not_create_java_implementation_loader
  • I am having exactly the same problem, please someone solve this, or I will have to just reinstall previous versions of Zotero and Libreoffice, which is not a forward looking idea!