Bibliography starts again at 1 having saved, closed and re-opened word document

Hi all, I'm having an issue with using Zotero (Updated) and Word (2010). I am writing a document in Word, inserting citations as I go, and my Bibliography updates automatically after each citation added. I have 38 citations in my Bibliography.

However, I saved my document and closed Word and Zotero in order to turn off my PC and sleep. Now I have opened my Word document and Zotero again and I have tried to add citations as normal by clicking the "Add/Edit Citation" button in my Zotero Word plugin, but instead of inserting a little "39" and a 39th entry to my Bibliography, I get a little "1" and no entry to my Bibliography. If I try to add a new Bibliography it does it in a different style and in different formatting.

Can anybody please advise? I would like to start adding citations and extending my Bibliography right where I left off.
  • Which file format did you save your file as (e.g. .doc, .docx., .rtf, etc.)?
  • Hi adamsmith,

Thanks for your reply.

I posted this after not finding any help by a Google search, but a rummage through the forum helped me find a solution to the problem. Document was default saved as .ODT.

I've reinserted my citations and saved as .docx now, all sorted!
  • That was the problem. You need to save the file as .doc or .docx for Zotero's fields to stay live. If you must save it as .odt (to share with a colleague who uses LibreOffice), then open the Document Preferences in the Zotero tab in Word and choose the option to store citation data using "Bookmarks" instead of "Fields". Bookmarks are more fragile than Fields, so we strongly recommend that you only use this option if you have to share the document with a LibreOffice user.
  • Hi all - I am having a similar issue to what was described. However, I originally saved my document as .docx before I emailed it to a colleague for editing. Now I have it emailed back to me (again as a .docx) file, but when I try to add a new citation, it adds it as citation #1, much like what the original poster was experiencing.

Please help if you can.
  • @MishMe: https://www.zotero.org/support/kb/existing_citations_not_detected

Your colleague open or saved it in a way that broke the citations.