Genre not displaying in center column?

I've added genre as a field that should display in the center column (also as a field that should display in the classic Add Citation dialog). However, the "genre" for items still isn't displaying in either one. I've noticed this with reports (where Report Type should map to genre) and letters (where Type should map to genre). In both cases, the genre column is blank, even when an item has info entered into this field.
  • “Genre” for the column sorting is referring to the Zotero fields labeled as such (e.g., for Films), not the CSL variable the fields are mapped to.
  • Aha! So then I have a follow-up question, which is: What fields are searched by the 'new' Add Citation dialog (as opposed to the 'classic' one)?

I'm guessing it doesn't search in genre (the CSL variable).
  • The reason for my follow-up question is that I've created a style for an organization, and it required quite a few workarounds to accommodate document types that didn't exist in Zotero. The CSL for the style is here: https://pastebin.com/niSaD6Aa

One of the workarounds involved having users enter info into the "Report type" field, with all other fields left blank. So, for example, you'd enter "Special tabulations of data from the 1984 Canadian Fertility Study" as the report type, and nothing else. This worked fine when I was testing the style by creating a bibliography. Now, however, it's not actually possible to add a citation to these items using the Word plugin. Here's what happens:

1. When you use the 'classic' Add Citation dialog in Zotero, it doesn't display the "genre" field (in CSL), so these items just look blank. If you pick a random blank one, it is formatted correctly in the bibliography, but you can't *see* enough information in the dialog to pick the right one (and there may be multiple special tabulations available to cite).

2. When you use the 'new' Add Citation dialog in Zotero, you can't search for these items at all. If you start typing "Special tabulations..." then nothing shows up.

I completely understand that this workaround is not ideal. I chose it because it was consistent with a whole set of workarounds that I needed to do, to cite unpublished sources/data in different ways (I planned to remedy the situation by creating a new type of document once the new version of CSL is available). In the meantime, I'm asking if there's anything I can do fix this situation, other than come up with a workaround involving a different field (i.e., not the genre field). If my only option is to use a different field in my workaround, can you tell me which fields are searchable using the 'new' Add Citation dialog?

Thanks so much!

• edited September 8, 2017
    I would recommend just using Title for that type of information, rather than Report Type.

If you need some sort of brackets around it, you should enter those directly in the title field. Alternatively, you can enter this in the Extra field:
    type: dataset

And then include formatting rules for type=“dataset” in your style. Either of these will be by far the easiest and also ensure maximum transportability across styles. This will also make it easier to browse items in the Zotero pane.

If I recall correctly, the Quick Citation dialog searches creators, year, and titles (including publication title). I might be misremembering this though.

Edit: Fixed instructions.
  • That should be type: dataset.
    (@bwiernik -- sorry, the documentation is incorrect. It's always the CSL variable that goes into the extra field)
  • Ah, okay, I thought citeproc-js treated type differently for some technical reason.
  • Thanks, this is incredibly helpful.