All items being added as webpages using Chrome extension and Standalone v5.0.17

Hi,

Every item that I have tried to add to my library today is being added as a webpage (i.e. without any of the metadata I need in order to reference it, author, publication, volume, issue, pages etc. all empty). I thought at first it was a problem with a specific database (UCL's library catalogue, which had previously been fine to import from), but I've just tried it from Sage Journals and ProQuest, which also usually work, and the same thing happened. Ovid also adds everything as a webpage, but that's normal, for Ovid.

As far as I'm aware I haven't changed any settings at all. I updated to the latest version of Standalone after the first few times this happened, to see if the update helped, but it doesn't seem to have made any difference.

Any help with this very gratefully received.

Thanks,

Danni
  • If you reset translators from the Advanced pane of the connector preferences (accessible via the Chrome Extensions pane), does that help?
  • I've just tried doing that, but still adding items as webpages only. Should I try updating the translators?
  • Can you provide a Debug ID from the connector for loading a page that's not detected?
  • Debug ID D423374146
  • edited August 30, 2017
    That's from Zotero for saving, not from the connector for loading the page.
  • Apologies, D1671844919
  • That still appears to be for trying to save, not for loading the page.
  • Sorry, I think I must not understand what 'loading a page' means. I thought I needed to enable the debug in the connector advanced option, then do what has been causing a problem, i.e. try to add an item from a webpage to my library using the 'save to zotero' button in Chrome. If I need to do something different please let me know.
  • The issue here is that metadata for the page isn't being detected. That happens when you load the page in your browser, not when you click the button to save it (when the icon is already showing the webpage icon).
  • Ok, so I need to enable the debug and then just open the webpage of the item that I want to import to Zotero? Just did that and this is the debug ID D1728419813.
  • And that shows the webpage icon, and says "Save to Zotero (Web Page)" when you hover over it?
  • Ah, no, it's now saying 'Save to Zotero (embedded metadata)' and just worked when I added it to my library (i.e. added it with all the metadata.
  • I did nothing different this time to what I've been doing all day though, apart from enabling the debug.
  • Based on that debug output, it should show a journal article icon and say "Save to Zotero (SAGE Journals)" (as it does for me).
  • Sorry, looked at the wrong page, it actually said 'Save to Zotero (Sage journals)'.
  • I'm not clear whether there is there anything that I did that caused this problem. The only thing I did differently today that I know of was update to the latest version, and enable debug (once you told me to). I'd rather know if it was something that I did though, so that I can make sure I don't do it again.
  • edited August 30, 2017
    I'm guessing resetting translators fixed it and you just didn't reload the page after resetting. Resetting translators shouldn't be necessary in normal usage, but there's currently an issue that can cause metadata detection to break occasionally until translators are reset. If it's working now, don't worry about it.
  • Ah ok, thanks, that's helpful. So if it happens again I'll try resetting the translators and then reloading any page I've been trying to add.

Thanks very much for the very swift help, much appreciated.