Report ID: 1855372988

I deleted a huge number of temporary records in "My Library", but had to move (and close the session) before the procedure was completed. After restarting the computer and Zotero 5.0, the app remains now frozen eternally in the "Loading items..." status.
Your help is appreciated.
  • Can you generate a Debug ID (different from a Report ID) for Zotero startup using the "Restart with Logging Enabled…" option?
  • That's what I just did, but then the program remains closed and does not restart again. (I tried it several times).
  • But if you restart it manually, are there lines logged in the Debug Output Logging menu?
  • version => 5.0.17, platform => Win32, oscpu => Windows NT 10.0; WOW64, locale => en-US, appName => Zotero, appVersion => 5.0.17, extensions => Zotero LibreOffice Integration (5.0.6.SA.5.0.17, extension), Zotero Word for Windows Integration (5.0.2.SA.5.0.17, extension), Shockwave Flash (26.0.0.151, plugin)
  • Select "Restart with Logging Enabled…", say "Restart Later" if the other option isn't working for you, close Zotero, and then start it again. What does it then say for "lines logged" in that menu?
  • 0 lines logged (it's faded)
  • Try generating real-time debug output for the startup.
  • Did you clear the output? That shows three lines — there should be much more for a Zotero startup.
  • What's selected in the left-hand pane when you start Zotero? Have you tried selecting the trash?
  • But I can reproduce a long delay at startup with a large number of items in the trash. It's possible that you have enough in there that it's timing out other operations and getting stuck. We'll look into why this is happening.

You can try temporarily disabling auto-sync in the Sync pane of the preferences to see if that helps.
  • The left-hand pane remains entirely empty. The middle pane has "Loading items ..." for all eternities.
  • In the meantime, you may be best off restoring from one of the last automatic backups from before you deleted all these items. (You can probably ignore the stuff in there about syncing and just focus on the backup file.)
  • I think I know what's going on here. If you don't want to deal with the backups, we should be able to fix this within the next day.
  • That would be extremely helpful. I will only use the backups, if your attempt to fix it won't be successful.
  • OK, the latest 5.0 Beta (5.0.18-beta.2) should speed up startup time for you. You can use that in the meantime and switch back to the release version once 5.0.18 is out (or after emptying the trash — which you might have to do in batches, due to another performance bug with a huge trash).
  • Thank you. I have updated to v. 5.0.18-beta.2 and the libraries and collections are now visible again. The trash is slowly being emptied, but according to the current speed, it will probably take three hours ore more to complete.