Zotero toolbar not visible in Word 2016 for Mac with Zotero 5

This discussion was created from comments split from: Now available: Zotero 5.0.
  • SOS SOS . The Zotero toolbar is not visible in Word 2016 for Mac after updating to Zotero 5. The plugin is successfully installed, the zotero.dotm file visible in add-ins and in the developer tab. I have tried every solution I spotted in forum including manual install, reinstalling Zotero many times , even uninstalling and reinstalling Microsoft Office. I have a deadline coming up and spent the last two days struggling with this problem. Had no problems with Z 4 , which I tried to reinstall , but got a message that the database is not compatible anymore. Urgent help appreciated, thank you in advance for your kind attention.
  • There should be a proper solution, but if you're in a rush you can assign keyboard shortcuts (or custom buttons) to the various functions of the Zotero add-on under Macros in the developer tab.
  • Follow custom Mac Word 2016 keyboard shortcut instructions. To locate Zotero actions select "Macros" under Categories and search for "Zotero"

Multiple people are affected by this, but we've yet to have anyone come back to us having fixed the tab not appearing. You could try resetting the normal template, reinstalling the Zotero plugin and seeing if the Tab appears.
  • Hi,

I have the same problem and i have fallowed your last instruction, but is not possible to create a shortcut instead if i can see zotero in macros.
  • Hi everyone,

Do we have any updates on this topic? I am still using the "macros solution", no zotero tab so far...

thanks
  • Yes, Zotero works with Word for Mac 2016 generally. What versions of Zotero and Word (exact number, e.g., 16.9) are you using?
  • I just realised I have an outdated version 15.13. It works with this version or i have to purchase a new one?
  • edited January 21, 2018
    You don’t have to purchase anything, but you should update Word (in the Word Help menu) to the current version.

(Note that the just-released version of Word—16.9–currently doesn’t work fully with Footnote styles in Zotero. The Zotero team is working on a fix for the bug and it should be released shortly.)
  • I changed from windows to mac, i had to get another subscription. Now it works fine. Thanks!