Win Error 183

edited August 27, 2017
I keep receiving this message: Zotero attempted to move your data directory to a new default location, but the migration could not be completed.

I've updated Zotero and can access my library through the website but not through the shortcut. How do follow the instructions given?: It is recommended that you close Zotero and move your data directory manually.
  • First, you should be able to click "Not Now" in that dialog to continue using Zotero. You'll keep getting the message at startup, but Zotero should still be usable.

For fixing this, it should tell you your current data directory and the new recommended location, and there should be a button to reveal the current directory in the filesystem and quit Zotero.

You just need to click that button and then move that 'zotero' directory to the recommended location in your home directory, which on Windows should be C:\Users\:username:\Zotero. So you want to move that 'zotero' directory to C:\Users\:username: and rename it as 'Zotero'.
  • I had reasons for moving the directory... Is there no way to Zotero from asking me to move it back to the default location? Or more importantly, is there a reason for it to be in the default location?

Thanks!
  • You can set a custom location for the data directory in the advanced tab of the Zotero preferences under Files and Folders. Zotero should just accept that -- it only tries to move the default location.