Error when Zotero starts

When Zotero starts, the middle window that should contains citations shows an "an error has occurred" message.

Report ID: 1229472004
  • If possible, can you provide a Debug ID for Zotero startup using the "Restart with Logging Enabled…" option?
  • This seems to happen the first time that I start Zotero after the computer is turned on. The following restarts work fine.
    It happened also today
    How can i provide a debug id for such case?
  • Always, or only if Zotero is running when you shut down the computer?
  • It seems to be independent on wheter zotero i closd or open with computer shut down

It seems t happen also if Zotero stays open for some time but without being used. When I return to the window, this error appears
  • This is the debug ID D1677736406
  • An error message also appears in the debug outut when Zotero works correctly: D1269949214

[JavaScript Error: "can't assign to properties of (new Boolean(false)): not an object" {file: "chrome://zotero/content/xpcom/quickCopy.js" line: 464}]

version => 5.0.17, platform => Win32, oscpu => Windows NT 10.0; WOW64, locale => en-US, appName => Zotero, appVersion => 5.0.17, extensions => ZotFile (5.0.4, extension), Zotero LibreOffice Integration (5.0.6.SA.5.0.17, extension), Zotero Word for Windows Integration (5.0.2.SA.5.0.17, extension)

• New Report ID: 1807845251
    Screenshot: https://i.imgur.com/8BXatHO.png

Same error. Zotero was just open and worked. I switched to the browser to do a few things, I downloaded an article using Zotero connector for Chrome, and the error appeared

• I am unable to use Zotero anymore

Now it does start but when I click onany element in the middle of the screen it shows "An error has occurred. Please restart Zotero"

Please help

Report ID: 102237694
  • Upgrade to Zotero 5.0.18, now available via Help -> Check for Updates…, and if you're still having trouble, disable all your other extensions. You're getting lots of errors from BBT.
  • I uninstalled and reinstalled Zotero 5.0.17 and that solved the problem. Now i have upgraded and let's see if it happens again
  • edited September 11, 2017
    I may have a fix for this particular issue but at the current stage of BBT, if you have a problem with Zotero and you have BBT installed you can safely assume I caused it. I'm 100% with Dan on this one -- before reporting problems with Zotero, disable BBT, or report the problem first on the BBT tracker.
  • The original error truly appeared well before I installed BBT. All the messages before report ID 102237694 are before I installed BBT.
    The thing that changed is that once installed BBT, when the error appeared restarting Zotero did not fix it, before it did
  • Ah if BBT isn't installed I take no blame of course :) Joachim Rennstich mentioned this thread on the BBT tracker, and Dan mentioned BBT being involved, so... anyhow, I think I found the source of the errors Dan mentioned. I have a workaround for that but I may well just ditch the citekey display in the reference pane; that's where the error originated but that bit has been the source of numerous issues.