Zotero found a previous data directory within your Firefox profile directory,

I have two Zotero accounts: one in Firefox and a Standalone with Chrome. Recently I started having a window pop up saying: "Zotero found a previous data directory within your Firefox profile directory. . . . Do you wish to continue using the current data directory or switch to the previous one?"
I do not want to switch to to previous directory, so I always click "Use current directory." I want to keep the two accounts separate. Don't know what I did to cause this to happen. How can I go back to having the directories separate?
  • (note that you won't be able to do this much longer -- you'll need to run Standalone with two profiles for two different data directories, see e.g.:
    https://forums.zotero.org/discussion/66968/can-i-use-profiles-like-firefox )
  • edited August 26, 2017
    There's a checkbox in that dialog to not show it again. But the dialog is there because there shouldn't be a data directory in the Firefox profile anymore after 5.0, and if you have both there's a decent chance (due to bugs in early versions of 5.0, interference from security software, etc.) that you ended up with Zotero pointing at an empty data directory or an old data directory. So you should install the Zotero Connector for Firefox, move that directory out of the Firefox profile, and point to it from a separate profile in Zotero 5.0.