Style Request: American Geophysical Union (new)

2»
  • Thanks again for all the help and discussion! So, based on what was said previously, AGU (based on APA) should disambiguate up to the 6th author. We are actually not seeing that with the Zotero AGU style. Here is an example following, note that the third and fourth references are including up to the fourth author, even though they differ after the first. Shouldn't those citations only show the first and second authors?
    (Note the first two citations appear to be disambiguating correctly, and we made sure the author entries are identical in all citations.)

Insert (Fletcher, Orton, de Pater, et al., 2011). Insert (Fletcher, Orton, Rogers, et al., 2011). Insert (Fletcher, Hesman, Irwin, Baines, et al., 2011). Insert (Fletcher, Baines, Momary, Showman, et al., 2011).

Bibliography

Fletcher, L. N., Orton, G. S., Rogers, J. H., Simon-Miller, A. A., de Pater, I., Wong, M. H., et al. (2011). Jovian temperature and cloud variability during the 2009-2010 fade of the South Equatorial Belt. Icarus, 213(2), 564–580. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.icarus.2011.03.007

Fletcher, L. N., Baines, K. H., Momary, T. W., Showman, A. P., Irwin, P. G. J., Orton, G. S., et al. (2011). Saturn’s tropospheric composition and clouds from Cassini/VIMS 4.6-5.1 mu m nightside spectroscopy. Icarus, 214(2), 510–533. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.icarus.2011.06.006

Fletcher, L. N., Orton, G. S., de Pater, I., Edwards, M. L., Yanamandra-Fisher, P. A., Hammel, H. B., et al. (2011). The aftermath of the July 2009 impact on Jupiter: Ammonia, temperatures and particulates from Gemini thermal infrared spectroscopy. Icarus, 211(1), 568–586. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.icarus.2010.09.012

Fletcher, L. N., Hesman, B. E., Irwin, P. G. J., Baines, K. H., Momary, T. W., Sanchez-Lavega, A., et al. (2011). Thermal Structure and Dynamics of Saturn’s Northern Springtime Disturbance. Science, 332(6036), 1413–1417. https://doi.org/10.1126/science.1204774
  • Yes, that wouldn't be right. Let me see if I can replicate that here.
  • Has anyone updated the AGU JGR styles beyond the 2018 release? All of the AGU journal citation styles are still broken. They list multiple authors instead of the first.author et al. Instead of editing the style code manually has anyone just fixed this for the community?
  • The style should do this correctly in general. There may be some disambiguation edge cases, but as a general rule it will use first author et al. in citations. If it doesn't, we'd need some examples. It would also be helpful to know if those also occur in a fresh sample document or only in a longer existing document.
  • Hi Adam and thanks for the swift reply. This is with the JGR Planets style, but pretty much applies to all AGU styles I have.
    Examples: (Weitz et al., 2012; Matthew Chojnacki, Burr, & Moersch, 2014)..... should be "Chojnacki et al., 2014" and (M. Bourke et al., 2003) ... should be "Bourke et al., 2003"
    This one is odd too: “(Okubo, 2010; Matthew Chojnacki et al., 2016; Fortezzo et al., 2016; L. A. Edgar & Skinner, 2016). “… should be “(Okubo, 2010; Chojnacki et al., 2016; Fortezzo et al., 2016; Edgar & Skinner, 2016). "

In some cases I have deleted the citation and re-added it into my Zotero citation manager. For example citation https://doi.org/10.1002/2017JE005460 still posts the authors first name.
  • This looks like various forms of disambiguation, not a problem with the style.
    In some cases I have deleted the citation and re-added it into my Zotero citation manager.
    That's likely part of the problem. You'll want to avoid deleting items in Zotero that are cited in a document: either fix the metadata or use Zotero's merge function. They're now likely disconnected from your Zotero library, so first thing to try would be to remove them from the citation and then re-insert them.
  • Hi Adam,
    Thanks for identifying the disambiguation issue. I can see the main reason is that common journals use first names (John R. Smith) while most common conference abstract systems in my science uses first initials ( J. R. Smith). I have fixed this in a few cases, but its time consuming.

You mentioned a merge function - how would that work with, e.g., 10 different unique AGU abstracts with J. Smith as a author, and 10 peer-review publications with John R. Smith.

Also, I found these issues occurred a lot less with the AGU style compared with the JGR - Planets style. I assume its ok to rely on just the AGU style.
  • Merge wouldn't help you unify authors -- that requires manually fixing them.

If you have a duplicate or re-import (higher quality) metadata, merge rather than delete should be used to prevent orphaning citations in existing documents.
    Also, I found these issues occurred a lot less with the AGU style compared with the JGR - Planets style. I assume its ok to rely on just the AGU style.
    That'd be a co-incidence. It's literally the same style (JGR - Planets is just a link to AGU style)
  • Thanks Adam. I attempted to resolve this for case where the 1st author had slight name variations in my database, causing this issues (e.g., Lennard P. Davis et al., 2018 and L. P. Davis et al., 2019).
    However, I am finding my database sometime reverts to the old naming. I update the ciations in my Zotero software, select the update buttion, then refreash the Word document citations. This fixes them temporarily, but the next day some citations revert back (e.g Lennard P. Davis). Is my local database being overwritten by the cloud version? How do I prevent this?
  • What do you mean by "update button"? There isn't any update button in the Zotero app.
  • The curved arrow stating "Sync with zotero.org".
  • Also, I have a document using AGU style where I cannot fix the disambiguation issue for several of the authors. There are three references with author Davis. All papers with that author are
    Lennard P. Davis (not L. P. Davis) in my database, but they are coming up with first name same and initial. Why won’t citation show up with just last name? “Davis et al.” not “Lennard P. Davis et al”. Thanks,
  • Just to be clear, authors need to be in the database as "Lastname, Firsname(s)" not as "Lennard P. Davis".
    If that's the case, you're likely looking at entries disconnected from Zotero. The first thing I'd look at is the bibliography, see if that gives you any clues.