Libreoffice crashes when inserting citation

As stated in the title. This is under ubuntu 16.04. I have a JRE installed, according to libreofice it comes from oracle corporation and is version 1.8.0_131. The zotero libreoffice integration is version 3.5.12 and the zotero version is 4.0.29.22. I have tried reinstalling both the plugin and zotero. Can anybody help me? I need zotero to work and in a hurry.
  • This is fixed in Zotero 5.0. If you are working on a big document close to submission, you better postpone upgrade, but you can install the updated plugin into LibreOffice manually. Download and double-click, or if that doesn't work, open LibreOffice and go to Tools -> Extension Manager, where you can add an .oxt file.
  • I AM working on an article close to (re)submission. That's why I am in a hurry. However, it is not working as it is now either so... why do you mean I should wait?
  • Wait. So if I update, is that only the libreoffice integration or is it the firefox plugin as well?
  • This is an update to the LibreOffice part of the integration. You only need to update it in LibreOffice without touching the firefox plugin, but it should resolve the problems you are having (unless you have broken citations in the doc, but let's start with this).
  • I installed the new integration and then restarted both firefox and libreoffice. When starting libreoffice I noticed the zotero icons have gotten a facelift so I know the integration is installed and working that far. However, when trying to insert a citation, I got the same result as before: Libreoffice immediately closes without any error message or similar. This also occurs in a new document, not just my heavy article.
  • I noticed the zotero icons have gotten a facelift so I know the integration is installed and working that far.
    Whoops, sorry about that. Add/Edit Bibliography is not implemented in Zotero 4.0, so you'll need to revert to a slightly older version.

What version of LibreOffice? Did it used to work before? Anything changed on your system recently, that could have started causing this?
  • Could you submit a Debug ID for the action that causes the crash after installing the slightly older updated version I linked to above?
  • Ok, I did as you said and reverted to version 5.0 of the integration. The LO version is 5.1.6.2. It used to work before the summer with exactly the same setup, in the same document. I have installed new updates from canonical as they've been rolled out but that's all. Trying to produce a debug ID yields nothing, zotero is not logging anything.
  • Oh. If you're on a 32-bit system there's a bug specific to Linux kernel and JRE. See this comment for workarounds.
  • I tried the above and lo and behold, it worked! Thanks for the help, I never would have figured this out without you.