Choose folder for save to zotero

Hi
When saving to zotero using the firefox plugin my pdf's go into the last used folder in zotero. Because i sometimes download 20 pdfs for later reading this sometimes get very messy. I would like to have the option to choose either a default download folder for zotero downloads, or get the option to choose folder for each download.

Is this possible in zotero or any other reference system?

Kind regards
  • We'll likely add some sort of option to choose the destination from the browser while saving instead of doing it in Zotero, but in the meantime you can always add the Date Added column to the middle pane and sort by that to view items you've added recently, and you can check to make sure you didn't add items to the wrong collection by mistake.
  • Hi,
    I am also desparately waiting for an option to save pdf's that are linked to a citation into specified folders, ideally folders that match my collections and subcollections. One major problem I have with the current way is that upon opening a pdf within Zotero, making changes and saving again, the pdf cannot be saved automically. Instead, I have to copy the location of the pdf into the saving dialog window and save each paper manually.

In addition it would be really nice to be able to browse through my pdf's outside Zotero.

I would be really glad if this issue could be solved soon.
  • You issue isn’t at all related to the original one in this thread. It sounds like the saving issue is due to some unfortunate behavior in Apple Preview. Upgrade to Zotero 5.0 and this behavior should be fixed.

Otherwise, you can maintain a separate PDF folder structure using the Zotfile plugin. However, my general question is why exactly it matters where the PDFs themselves are stored if you are using Zotero or a similar program to organize the PDFs and their associated citation data? One of the major advantages of a program like Zotero is eliminating the need to manually curate where files are stored on your computer file system.
  • When will a default download folder be a feature of Zotero?
This discussion has been closed.