Help with synching to Zotero from OneDrive

So I’ve read some of the forums (fora?) about synching, as well as some of the documentation, but I'm having trouble finding a way to get from point A to point B.

Historically (the past four years) I've been attaching pdf files to most of my entries by selecting the option to "attach stored copy of file," but linking them to multiple MS OneDrive folders (versus having one big folder where all pdfs are). I did NOT do a good job of planning, so I've got files here and there, depending on particular classes or projects or phases of my dissertation. I've realized how problematic this is when I try to reorganize my files and folders and then my link to the file in the record is (of course) dead because the path is different.

I signed up for the extra storage so that I could de-couple from OneDrive and have my Zotero be totally portable because I’m migrating to a new iMac and want to work seamlessly between that and my MacBook and be able to synch between the two.

So bottom line, how do I go through and bring all those attached pdfs over into the Zotero extra storage that I just bought and then re-associate them with each corresponding entry? I’m not worried that it will be a lot of work, I’d planned to just go through and do them as I worked anyway rather than going entry by entry and exporting them (or whatever), unless one of you power users has a quick way to do this...

HEEEEELLLLLPPPPP

TIA

dave
  • If you’ve been consistently using “Attach stored copy of file”, that has been storing files in Zotero/using Zotero storage (not OneDrive). So I hunk you might be good to go. When you look at the icons for various attachments in Zotero, are they PDF icons or link icons?
  • Thanks very much for replying. The trouble is, I have NOT been using Zotero, I've been using OneDrive, and I'm trying to get my files from OneDrive to the Zotero storage.
    Also, I think with your help I just identified the problem. I thought I'd been attaching the file, and I haven't. I've been using the "attach link to file" option. So I just did a test run by attaching the actual pdf file to the record, synching, then synching on the other machine, and it synched right up.
    So does that mean if the file is actually attached to the record, that NOW it will be saved on the Zotero storage?