ZOTERO missing from Word ribbon

i have now resolved the problem of getting Zotero to save references to library .( by deleting and then re installing both Zotero and Chrome).
But I now find that I can't see, or make apparent, Zotero on the Word ribbon when I'm writing - and so can't,as before, insert citation/ reference from Zotero library into my Word doc. Isn't the Word plug-in meant to install automatically now?
Any advice please?
  • Yes, it's supposed to install automatically. First thing to try would be to re-install it from the "Cite" tab of the Zotero preferences.
  • from the list including Elsevier- Harvard ? Or am I missing something?
  • I've tried that but no change,I'm afraid in Word ribbon .
    I've also tried going into the start up menu for word and modifying the list which has chrome on it by adding C:\\Zotero.dotm .But it says 'not recognised '
  • I'm not sure what you mean by your last comment, but I don't think that is the right course of action to take.

What adamsmith meant was to go to the Cite tab of Zotero preferences, then click "Word Processors", then click "Install Microsoft Word Add-in".

What OS are you using (Mac/Windows) and what version of Word?
  • Thanks -I'll try that. I'm using Word and Windows 10 on a Dell laptop
  • Hi bwiernik,
    I've done that and found the Install M/S Word addin .But when I pressed that another message came up which read -'This cant be completed because an error occurred .Please ensure that M/S word is closed ,then reboot Zotero' .

I don't know what that means.Does it mean uninstalll MS word, or to simply close a Word doc ?
  • Hi bwiernik
    I'm using Word and have Windows 10 on my laptop
  • That means make sure Word is not running. If that's not the case, the most likely reason for the error message is that Zotero can't write to your Word Startup folder, either due to permissions or due to security software.
  • OK - i'll try to disable Word and go again .
    During today I've had some partial success in getting Zotero to recognise a website address( by right clicking on the web address ) and then down load it into Z library - and then , once, to get that same reference into a word doc.But i don't seem to be able to replicate this
    Something is happening but it doesn't seem to be working as it did before Z 5.0.Any suggestions?
  • Let's please keep the separate issues in separate threads -- your problems with Word and your problems with browser integration are likely unrelated. Keep each in a separate thread, please.

Not sure what you mean by disabling Word, but what you should try is
    1. Make sure Word is not running (including not running any background process) and then re-install the add-on from Zotero. If that doesn't work
    2. The easiest likely is to manually install the add-on following: https://www.zotero.org/support/word_processor_plugin_manual_installation#manually_installing_the_zotero_word_processor_plugin

If you have any problems with those instructions, we're happy to help. In that case please be as specific as possible in describing what you aren't able to do.
  • I tried to do this but when i copied the Zotero.dotm file into Word file locations it wasn't recognized as a legitimate file. The message read 'This file not recognised .

The file I copied was 'file:///C:/Program%20Files%20(x86)/Zotero/extensions/zoteroWinWordIntegration@zotero.org/install/Zotero.dotm.This doesn't look right does it ?
  • that looks like exactly the right file, yes. And you see the file at that location, right? What happens when you just double-click it to open it in Word (this is just for testing).
  • Nothing happens .Just the repeat message that folder not recognised .
  • OK, let's slow this down. Could you describe step-by-step what you're doing?

Also, please always provide verbatim error messages (e.g. above you say "file not recognized" here you say "folder not recognized") -- we need the exact error message in the language in which you're getting it
  • OK will do but will be away till weekend and out of contact . Will try it again then