Can't retrieve metadata for PDF

This discussion was created from comments split from: Retrieve Metadata from PDF.
  • No, problem still exists. For exsample, my Zotero 4 easily could find matadata from http://www.jecr.org/sites/default/files/14_01_p5.pdf.

But Zotero 5.013 dont.
  • The problem above was fixed, and that PDF is recognized for me. If it's not working for you, you're likely temporarily locked out of Google Scholar. Try again in a bit.

(We have some upcoming changes that should avoid that, but this is working the same as in 4.0.)
  • Nope. It says "An unexpected error occurred".

Can I somehow downgrade to Zotero 4?
  • edited August 19, 2017
    Again, this isn't a 4.0/5.0 issue — I just retrieved metadata for that same PDF in 5.0. That error likely just means you're locked out of Google Scholar — it'd be the same in 4.0. (And it's cookie-based, so it doesn't mean you'd be locked out in your browser.) If you provide a Debug ID for a Retrieve Metadata attempt we can confirm that.
  • Here it is. Many thanks.

D1971321151
  • OK, sorry about that — this wasn't the same issue, but it was indeed a bug in 5.0.12. Upgrade to 5.0.14 via Help -> Check for Updates (available in a few minutes) and it should work again. Thanks for reporting.
  • edited August 19, 2017
    I upgraded to 5.0.15 and now everything is OK!
    Many thanks!
    But still missing Zotero for Firefox. :-(
    It was more manageable. I have many Zotero collection folders and now when I dont see this collection folders down in my Firefox I sometimes save for exsample pdf from Web in a wrong one.
  • (I made this same comment in the other thread where you said this.)

As you've likely read in this thread, Zotero didn't have a choice about Zotero for Firefox, as Mozilla has discontinued the technologies it relied on to work.

You can resize the windows of both programs to have then shown side-by-side or stacked. Windows OS has keyboard shortcuts for this.

I would also suggest that developing a new habit of switching to Zotero using Alt+Tab or Cmd+Tab before saving an item to check which collection is selected is likely to be a fairly quick one to develop.