Download PDF in browser window zotero 5

Thank you for all your continuing hard work on zotero. Much appreciated!

In the previous version of zotero in Firefox, if I had a PDF in the browser window (i.e. not a link to the PDF but the actual PDF), I could click the download PDF button and I would be given the option of importing it directly into zotero.

I used this functionality frequently, but it doesn't appear to be available in Chrome or Firefox with the new zotero 5. The zotero button only shows the option to save the web page to zotero but doesn't do anything, and the PDF download button only gives me the option to download it to a folder.

So, please, what is the best way to get a PDF from my Chrome browser window directly into zotero 5 (avoiding having to download it, open my downloads, and drag it into zotero)?

Many thanks,

Wayne
  • Click the regular Zotero import button, and the pdf will import into Zotero. You can also drag the fav icon from the url bar to a Zotero item.
  • edited August 19, 2017
    The zotero button only shows the option to save the web page to zotero
    The save button should show a PDF icon when you're viewing a PDF, and it should say "Save to Zotero (PDF)" when you hover over it.

If that's not happening, it's possible you're viewing an embedded PDF on an HTML page. The next version of the connector will allow you to still save those as PDFs with a single click, but in the meantime you can right-click on the PDF in Firefox and choose "Show Only This Frame" to view the PDF directly, and then save it.

(As for the open/save dialog, we're no longer able to modify built-in dialogs like that in Firefox due to technical restrictions by Mozilla.)
  • Thanks for your extraordinarily fast replies!

It turned out that I was viewing a pdf on my hard drive in the browser. When I viewed an online pdf, all was well.

Thank you so much, and apologies for taking up your time.