Can't import pdfs into Zotero

For some reason, I cannot drag and drop pdfs into Zotero. I tried with the standalone. I also tried from the Chrome extension and the firefox extension. At one time, one pdf was imported through firefox, but typically when I click to add a pdf to zotero from a browser, only the website is added. If I try to import a pdf into zotero by choosing "import" from the menu, it says that the file is unsupported. It's just a regular pdf. I have tried this with a few different pdfs.

Any ideas?
  • "Import…" is RIS/BibTeX/etc. files, not PDFs — you'd want to use "Store Copy of File" from the New Item menu in the Zotero toolbar.

Dragging to a library, collection, or item you have write access to should work, though, and when viewing a PDF in your browser the Zotero Connector save button should show a PDF icon that you can click to save the PDF directly to Zotero (assuming you're running Zotero 5.0 and the latest connector version).
  • I had the same problem until i realized i tried to drag and drop my pdf into a group library which apparantly isnt allowed. Once i droppped into "My library" it was all good:)
  • (You can drag&drop to a group library, but the group must have file sharing enabled and you must have the permissions to add files to the group)